1995 Saracen Protrax

pencilman77

Retro Guru
As a fairly newbie to this site, i thought its about time i posted up my chariot of choice....and how it got to it is today.

It was bought of an elderly gent back in 2007, for the princly sum of £60, and was totally original, just been sat unused for many many years.

At the time i did a basic service and just got it running.....until last year.

She then went through a complete strip down, bearings, headset etc etc, till she came out the other side as she is today.

Thankfully virtually all the kit was retained, so the only changes from the factory spec are as follows:

Charge Splashback 2.1's
Selle Italia Flite Gel Titanium saddle
NOS 95 vintage Deore DX rapidfire STI shifters and brake levers (imported personally from Japan!)
Some vintage X-Lite bar ends
Shimano SPD's

Paintwork has some small chips and i will probably get some new decals put on...but thats it for now!

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 453
I Like that. I had one of those for a short while, got it as an insurance replacement for a bike that was stolen from the shed at my parents.

It was a nice bike- we had fun together. I alway liked the colour particularly. :cool:

Looks great. Good work on the restoration.
Nice bike the Protrax, top of the Saracen 'Sport' range which is just below the 'Competition' range with all the Kili variants.

I have a 97 Protrax in my fleet. First model year without the pierced seat cluster arrangement. It rides very well.

Anyway, at the risk of sounding pedantic, the DX Rapidfire Plus shifters you mention will be from 1993. This was the last year that DX was available, and the only year that the M-075 STI levers appeared.
As such they are a tiny bit rare. They are essentially the same as the XT M-095 levers but with a slightly different finish.

The STX-RC stuff you have on the rest of the bike is all good kit too.

Back