1997 Marin Rift Zone, timewarp condition!

Spudly

Retrobike Rider
PoTM Winner
Kona Fan
One night whilst idly browsing the bay (as most of us do regularly) last week i happened upon this Rift Zone....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271352162078? ... 1423.l2649

Pictures couldve been better imo, but nevertheless it showed it to be in damn fine condition, with minimal, if indeed any major use, and it all appeared to be as it left the shop in 1997.

It was one of those "i do not 'want' this bike, i 'need' it" moments, so i naughtily messaged the seller to see if he had a price in mind he may let it go early for (i know thats a mean trick for those bidding and i have actually only done it once before as i dont make a habit of it) but alas he said he wanted to let the auction run its course (alas for my impatient side, but win for my wallet as it turned out)

So auction ended yesterday just before 4pm, and i was let go early from work, so messaged him again after winning (for a price less than i was willing to bid, and less than i was going to offer for it, had he ended early, so my patience was rewarded as it turns out) arranged collection for last night, so big thanks to Chrisv40 and DanD, chris took me and dan came along for the 140 mile roadtrip to derby last night and its now sitting in my kitchen at home awaiting some new cables and a drop or three of oil!

This isnt going to be a project really as its in such good condition, im just going to keep it clean and enjoy it, its got all of the manuals, the original marin keyring and all of the datatag registration paperwork too, and i cannot convey just how good condition this bike it in, needless to say im a very happy boy now!

The only things i have changed are the seat which unfortunately isnt original, for a charge off one of my kona's, and the pedals for shimano ones as the vp ones that were on it dont seem to like my shimano cleats for some reason, but that is all, everything else is spec, right down to the wtb velociraptor tyres, which are in perfect condition with no cracking or age related damage!

Pics..

The pictures dont do it justice at all, i shall try to get some better ones tomorrow as it will be coming out on a local ride :D

Any comments welcome peeps.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I thankyou, ive just spent an hour adjusting the length of the outer cables and re-routing them, and replacing the inners aswell, it shifted and braked pretty well, but you simply cant beat new cables, added some anno-black anti-fray's aswell, looks much better now, hate messy cable routing lol. :roll: :LOL:

It is a very good one, hence me spotting it and thinking "i need this" and i wasnt going to be happy till it was mine, im glad it didnt go much higher, as the massive child in me wouldve actually bidded more for it... :oops: :oops:

Ive changed the seat, and the cables, and thats all matey, ill be on it tomorrow so you can have something to perve on, other than just me lol

Thats quite a relief Spud, I was expecting riser bars to have found their way on to it ;)

Glad your pleased with it mate and I'm looking forward to the next road trip :D

Latest posts

Back