97 Kona Cinder Cone

matt24777

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I bought this Cinder Cone on here a few months ago as a complete bike, with the intention of changing it up a bit.

I stripped the bike down and sold off some of the parts that were not in my plan for the bike. It then sat as a frame and forks in the garage for a while.... then I bought a Kilauea frame too so my intentions for this changed slightly.

Originally I was going to do it as a pure XC machine with interchangeable Rock Shox/P2's, but now I've decided to build it as a bit of a dossing around bike.... you know the kinda one you launch off the steps in the town centre type thing rather than a pure bred XC machine.

However no need to down spec it as I'd already acquired quite a few bits.....

So tonight I chucked the forks and stem that came with it back on along with a nice Club roost Comp II riser bar, Some M739 STI, M739 V brakes (also bought with the bike) and a NOS M739 front mech.

Had a quick look over it and looks ok so far.... one thing did strike me as odd though was the routing for the rear mech cable... is it meant to start on the LHS of the downtube and cross under it to reach the RHS Chainstay?

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 3,378
al-onestare":2vy8dott said:
I think its the other way around but the cables should cross on the downtube whatever way.

Cheers, (my veiwpoint was "from in the saddle")

It just confused me as my 94 Fire Mountain has both mechs on down tube routing and I just went straight down the relevant side so no crossing.

matt24777":3cwlxqt2 said:
one thing did strike me as odd though was the routing for the rear mech cable... is it meant to start on the LHS of the downtube and cross under it to reach the RHS Chainstay?
Yes - that way, you don't wear off the paint on the head tube, as the natural curvature of the cable outer keeps it away from the paint. You should make the cables cross on earlier frames also.

Interesting about the crossing cables.. will have to adjust the Fire Mountain soon then!

The Bombers are destined for the Kilauea.... :D

The Fire mountain's cables have now been adjusted :oops:

Some Progress with the Cinder Cone, I've fitted a new UN55 BB and some Sugino Impel cranks that have had a bit of wet & dry and some metal polish and treated to a set of NOS sugino rings (42/32/22T)

I've also managed to pick up a pretty tidy pair of wheels off ebay that arrived today, XT M739 hubs fitted with Mavic 217 rims with Sap spokes, A quick clean and they look ok, bit of sticker lift on the front rim and one very very small ding in the rear rim the only faults I could find with them.

I fitted a new Sram PG850 11-28t cassette to the wheel and a new Sram PG850 chain and bolted on the tidy M737 XT rear mech I had in the parts box.

More bits are on order but not arrived yet...

Debating what tyres to fit to this, At the mo I have an Onza Dan rear tyre, a Kona Sniff front tyre and a Tioga Psycho... I have retro love of the Psycho, but would need to source another one really....

Attachments

• IMG_0988.JPG
    IMG_0988.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 3,220
  • IMG_0991.JPG
    IMG_0991.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 3,220
  • IMG_0992.JPG
    IMG_0992.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 3,220
matt24777":1r7ai0xi said:
Debating what tyres to fit to this, At the mo I have an Onza Dan rear tyre, a Kona Sniff front tyre and a Tioga Psycho... I have retro love of the Psycho, but would need to source another one really....
Surely if you're just knocking around town, down steps etc, you need some kind of street tyre? Crazy Bobs? Bigs Apples? Insert non-Schwalbe version here?

I know they're not retro, but provided you choose the right size they'll still look good.

Regards

Back