Rocky Mountain Stratos build. Another one!

TheJackel2013

Retro Guru
I recently acquired a 1991 Rocky Mountain Stratos from this board, so it's begging for a build thread. I am going to desperately try to limit myself to 1990-1992 parts. Why? Back in those years. I worked in one of the largest bike stores in Vancouver B.C. Canada, aka home of Rocky Mountain. I must have assembled and sold hundreds of Fusions, Stratos, Equipes or Blizzards. Naturally with my employee discount I cycled through (no pun intended), a Stratos, Cirrus, and then an Equipe. My favourite one was the Equipe, a 1990 in fluorescent green and black. If I had my way this would be an Equipe build thread, but they are very hard to come by. I did lust after the Blizzard and Altitude (pre suspension, and with the syncros powerlite) but they were out of my price range.

But back to the Stratos. I've managed to piece together some great NOS and near-NOS bits over the past couple of months, almost all from 1990-1992 vintage (full build list to follow).

DSC04045.jpg

DSC04041.jpg

DSC04059.jpg

That's a very sweet base for a build! Any idea what other parts you're planning to use?

I will definitely follow this build.

So far I've managed to get my hands on some NOS and VVGC parts

Syncros Cattle prod
Answer hyperlite
XT thumbies NOS
Diacompe SS5 levers NOS
Onza Bardends NOS
987 Cantis NOS
Ritchey Logic crankset
Ritchey seatpost
Flite repro
Ringle 3DV skewers NOS
M737 SPD pedals NOS
XT Sharkfin NOS
Original Panaracer Smoke Blackwalls
Avocet 30 computer NOS

Wheels, I have a journeyman set of Mavic M261 CD on DX hubs. Nothing fancy but they do the job.

Forks, I'm in the middle of securing some Tange Switchblades. I'd love a set of Syncros Powerlites, but it seems that there are a lot of hoarders on this board..... LOL

A rainy day in Belgium. No surprise. So I've tossed a few parts onto the build. I can't decide on keeping the frame's original rough un-polished finished, or going all out with some compound and some abrasive cutting pads. In the meantime, I've decided to compromise with a very mild polish.

DSC04050.jpg

DSC04047.jpg

DSC04053.jpg

DSC04054.jpg

hoarder registered for updates. :? :LOL: ;)

actually i've passed on a few powerlites and other nice syncros bits.

i have a couple of RM Tange forks if that's of any interest.

Nice..!

Looking forward to what's to come, especially since I'm waiting for the white Stratos frame that was refurbished by Racin'snake, which I bought specifically to accommodate my recently acquired Syncros Powerlite forks...

Have fun building :)!

E.

Finished and took it out a few times this week. Since these photos have been taken, I've installed the front mech, and made some other changes. Have gotten it down to 24.75 lbs. Should be able to get it under 24lbs with a few more parts that are on the way.

DSC04085.jpg

DSC04083.jpg

DSC04078.jpg

DSC04072.jpg

Back