Rocky Mountain Blizzard '96 anniversary (finished, kinda)

zonoskar

Retro Guru
What to do, what to do....

IMG_9181.jpg

I got this a while back from a guy. I had built it up using modern parts, but I have since reclaimed these for other projects. So I'm slowly looking for parts to go on this frame. I already have a nice silver Rocky Mountain stem. I also have a red chris king headset, which I think would look great on this bike. And I have several forks that could go on it. There's the Manitou 2, Pace RC35 MXC or RockShox Mag 21. I guess the Manitou and the Mag21 are too early, the Pace fork is period correct.

But my biggest dillemma is the paint. It looks ok, but if you look closely, it is a bit battered. The rear white part seems to be resprayed. On the left side, I'm missing a letter in the decals, so it says "Rock Mountain".

Close-ups:
IMG_9209.jpg

IMG_9206.jpg

So, what to do :)

Re: Rocky Mountain Blizzard '96 anniversary version

Have you tried polishing it up? If you use good polishing paste such as Commandant scratch remover (no.5), you'd be surprised of the result. Then waxe it up after that for even a better shine, that should make a huge change, especially the areas in your last pic, on the seat stays and head tube.

If it can't be duplicated, then it's ruined. I say clean it up and leave it alone.

I'll try the polishing paste. I'm also inclined to leave the decals as-is. They look ok, not too much damage, apart from the missing 'Y'.

What about forks? Rigid? Or the Pace?

Wow! Love these frames.. I'd go rigid on the fork but, either way it's gonna look great. Look forward to seeing the full build.

what to do? if it's a 17" or 18", sell it to me! :D i had one briefly, but alas, it was 19" and a tad too big for me.

can't recall if the decals were one piece or still individual letters as early RMs. if individual, perhaps just replicate the one letter?

imo, definitely the best paint scheme of all RMs.

I think the letters are individual, so just replacing one is a great idea. Sorry for you it's a 19". I barely fit on it too, specially if you consider the time-correct 130mm stems they used back then. I found this old Rocky Mountain stem:

StemCapture.JPG

So I'm thinking a setup with silver seatpost and silver hubs/spokes/rims would be killer.

This is the fork:
Fork.JPG

Yeah baby watching this with interest I think silver gear will look great

I installed the headset and tried some forks I have laying around. I settled on the mag21 since that one fit. But I'm still leaning towards the Pace RC35. Also because the mag21's are not really period-correct.

Manitou 2 '93 fork (not really period-correct, too early)

p5pb23950855.jpg

Pace RC35 MXC '95/96 fork.

p5pb23950857.jpg

Rockshox Mag21 '94.

p5pb23950856.jpg

Last edited:

This came stock with a custom painted black Rock Shox Judy fork. I ended up with a set of black Marzocchi Atom Bombs on my build. Here's a look at mine if interested… viewtopic.php?f=6&t=203954

From what you have, I would say the Pace.

Back