Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:39 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: 198? Rockhopper
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:03 pm 

Just grabbed this ol' Rockhopper from CraigsList for $100. I've been out of the game for over a decade, and wanted a cheap, fun, sturdy, simple (and cool looking) bike to crash into trees as I get my legs under me.

Looks like pretty much everything is original, except for maybe the rear derailleur and the seat. Wanted to see what you guys think of it, and if anyone on here has an idea of what year model this could be, since I cant find another one to compare it to.

Slapped some fat tires on it and lowered the air pressure to absorb some bumps. Gonna spend some time cleaning it up, but am debating whether to upgrade at least the brakes, or just keep it as vintage as possible. I love how it rides, but the brakes are a little sketch. Figure I'll take it to my LBS and get a full tuneup, and take it from there.

Attachments:
Photo1-9.jpg
Photo1-9.jpg [ 446.86 KiB | Viewed 343 times ]

Post subject: ...and a '92 Rockhopper
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:08 am 

I also got this one on Friday for $65 and plan to upgrade it as much as possible. Its in pretty tip-top shape aesthetically and mechanically, but those old shifters are a little akward.

Does anyone have any advice on where my money, say around $150 to start with, would be best spent to get some better performance while climbing and/or braking. Adding V-brakes would be a no-brainer, right? I do plan to perform the labor and make this a project.

Attachments:
Photo1-6.jpg
Photo1-6.jpg [ 383.08 KiB | Viewed 337 times ]

Post subject: Re: 198? Rockhopper
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:55 pm 
Retro Guru

masivatack wrote:
Just grabbed this ol' Rockhopper from CraigsList for $100. I've been out of the game for over a decade, and wanted a cheap, fun, sturdy, simple (and cool looking) bike to crash into trees as I get my legs under me.

Looks like pretty much everything is original, except for maybe the rear derailleur and the seat. Wanted to see what you guys think of it, and if anyone on here has an idea of what year model this could be, since I cant find another one to compare it to.

Slapped some fat tires on it and lowered the air pressure to absorb some bumps. Gonna spend some time cleaning it up, but am debating whether to upgrade at least the brakes, or just keep it as vintage as possible. I love how it rides, but the brakes are a little sketch. Figure I'll take it to my LBS and get a full tuneup, and take it from there.

Thats sweet ! love the colour and decals , i would guess its about 89 /90 ish ?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:06 pm 
Retro Guru

masivatack wrote:

That is sweet ! love colour and decals :D
i would guess maybe 89/90 ish ? i have an 88 hardrock and that has a u brake .

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:07 pm 
Retro Guru

Oops double post :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:44 pm 

Ha! I believe you may be right. The serial number below the BB says GR990324, which leads me to think 1990?!? Not sure.

I am an obvious newb here, but have found a lot of help & inspiration already. Glad I made the decision to go old school instead of investing 5x as much in a new bike and not being nearly as stoked about it. I've got something that will last forever and suits my 80-90's kid soul.

Thanks for the reply. Will post photo updates to both bikes as I upgrade/restore/get them dirty.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:44 pm 
Retro Guru

You have done well to find them both , especially the 1990 as they are usually huge great 21 inch frames :shock:
cheers paul.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:44 pm 
Retro Guru

Grey one is 1989, only year for Mountain LX: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... X.jpg.html

Purple one is 1993 and came with pretty low-end kit in comparison: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... 3.pdf.html

Better off finding cheap donor bikes or period parts than throwing modern parts on that may not fit or look right.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:05 pm 

Thanks, lrh!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:49 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

V brakes are cheap and easy to fit even for newbies. Even I can do it and I'm useless!