Terrys Chocolate Orange anyone? "Bluey" FINISHED

matt24777

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
No?.... well have to settle for my Orange C16-r Build thread instead then... ;)

I figured it was probably time I started this thread as I've been collecting parts for a little while now.

Firstly I purchased a C16-R XT back in 1996, it came with V brakes and I loved it! a couple of years later when at Uni some scum bag broke into the "secure" bike store and stripped the bike down as much as they could, all I was left with was the drive train, wheels, frame and forks :( :x

I rebuilt the bike and took to opportunity to modify it with my choice of aftermarket bits (well the ones I could afford anyway). Stupidly about 7 years ago I sold the bike, which I really regret as only now that my daughter has learned to ride a bike have I started to ride again too. (read midlife crisis!!!) :oops:

So I went surfing ebay and found a decent looking C16-R frame (looks like a 96 to me). The rebuilding of my previous orange will heavily flavour some of my spec choices for this one, and this may not be to everyone's taste but to my mind that is what we all did BITD, got a bike and "tricked" it out as much as we could.

Anyway here is a pic of the frame
main.php

Just love Mid Ninties Orange's, looking forward to seeing this progress.
looks like you've a great starting point there

Well so far I have collected the following:

Pair of Middleburn RS3 cranks,
A XTR M901 front Mech,
A Ultegra Rear mech, (not 100% about this yet)
A NOS UN72 BB,
A Control tech stem,
Some titec bars,
A pair of x lite bar ends,
Some nice XT cantis M734's,
Some NOS Ritchey Logic levers
And some Sachs Wavey grip shifters,

Some Pics below
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php
main.php

I have got a bit of a issue though....

I'm planning on having the frame & forks stripped and sprayed up, I was thinking of going white, as I've seen a few bikes sprayed white and I like the look, The question is.....

Is it heresy to want to put earlier decals on it?

Thing is I really like the earlier Clockwork decals like these
main.php

but the frame and forks are much later, and the decals on it now are even later still and somewhat badly applied :?

After all I'm not trying for the period perfect resto....

What to people think?

matt24777":2knltjgy said:
I have got a bit of a issue though....

I'm planning on having the frame & forks stripped and sprayed up, I was thinking of going white, as I've seen a few bikes sprayed white and I like the look, The question is.....

Is it heresy to want to put earlier decals on it?

Thing is I really like the earlier Clockwork decals like these
main.php

but the frame and forks are much later, and the decals on it now are even later still and somewhat badly applied :?

After all I'm not trying for the period perfect resto....

What to people think?

Please don't decal up as a Clockwork, keep it as a C16R, they you would retain the originality. I've got several C16R's and just acquired my first Clockwork, whilst they share many attributes they are two different bikes. Just my opinion but why try and make it something it's not? C16R's are very capable understated bikes :) keep it original and real :)

I wouldn't put Clockwork decals on it. I know Gil-M has those decals on file so why not see if he can do the same style but with c16 instead of Clockwork? That might work?

The paint looks pretty good - no chain suck whatsoever - you sure you don't want to touch it up a little instead? If you do repaint and re-decal, I'd go for it and choose something other than white (though white powder coat will be cheap). I'd say the same to rolling back the decals - i.e., don't do it! ...but if you do go for something different than the current ones, make up a unique set in a vector based program or ask Gil to do you something a little different.

I'm in the same boat of having a 98 Explosif but preferring the 96 decals - in the end I'm opting for the 98 decals but jazzing them up a little. Customisation is the way to go!

I wouldn't put Clockwork decals on it. I know Gil-M has those decals on file so why not see if he can do the same style but with c16 instead of Clockwork? That might work?

I quite like this idea...

The paint looks pretty good - no chain suck whatsoever - you sure you don't want to touch it up a little instead? If you do repaint and re-decal, I'd go for it and choose something other than white (though white powder coat will be cheap). I'd say the same to rolling back the decals - i.e., don't do it! ...but if you do go for something different than the current ones, make up a unique set in a vector based program or ask Gil to do you something a little different.

I'm in the same boat of having a 98 Explosif but preferring the 96 decals - in the end I'm opting for the 98 decals but jazzing them up a little. Customisation is the way to go!

The frame has been resprayed already, hence no chain suck, but I'm not convinced as it looks very like a genuine Factory orange finish, but if not I kinda want to know if there are any nasty secrets under the paint.

Why not white? I was going to do Blue Highlights such as the headset/bolts etc. I thought white with blue would work quite well.

Maybe I could go for Blue decals in the earlier style but with C16R rather than Clockwork??.... or just period spec decals but in blue not orange??? ah man I'm sooooo confused!

Glad to know it's not just me having this dilemma :?

Anyone used Argos in Bristol for resprays? they any good?

Here some inspiration for you, there is no rule book about what you can or cannot do, but its always good to stay true to the brand and model. When I transformed mine I wanted to breath new life into it, give it a modern twist but still retaining some original qualities. The Silver I went for was more a metallic industrial grey, dressed with some great graphics in Blue from Gil_m and some detailing on the frame with the group-set and hey presto :D

You have a great basis for a great build, take your time, don't rush and you will be able to sit back suitably proud of what you have done. The get on it and ride it, enjoy it :)

Heard some good stuff about Argos, but mine was a £40 Beadblast and Powdercoat at a local sprayers to keep it within budget. Very happy with the outcome :D

Attachments

• C16RPACE1.JPG
    C16RPACE1.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 5,462
  • C16RPACE5.JPG
    C16RPACE5.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 5,462
Back