Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:24 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:24 pm 

Awesome.. those photos off the B52 sent shivers up my spine as thats pretty much identical as the one I had! All photo's I've ever seen have been a different colour scheme to mine.. until now..

Mine was built with an odd mix of parts (mostly exige though), bought it 'second hand' from a bloke who used to hire them out in Coniston, can't remember the year, probably 1987.. I already had my Saracen Kili Flyer I think and was just about to order my Overbury..

Anyway, thanks for posting the pics! brought back lovely memories of riding High Street..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:56 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

longun wrote:
sinnerman wrote:
I am no expert, but i think thats a B52, (but i clearly could be wrong, as i am only going from memory)

Originally only supplied in my area, by a Windsurfing/sailing store that also sold bikes, and this store only ventured into the mountain bike market, due to the Tushingham brand, and there obvious windsurfing background. If memory serves me right it would have been neon and white.

I was told either correctly or incorrectly, it all originated from a resprayed Muddy fox Courier, again this could all have been a load of bull, but i was young and keen, the similarities are there, perhaps the same far east manufacturer...??? who knows... i myself would love for Lester to fill in the blanks, after all without this.....would Orange have ever been...?

You have a real piece of Uk mountain bike history there my friend, and i am amazed at the condition to be fair.

sensational.

8)

Talk to Maverick hes the man when it comes to these.

was said shop in plymouth and run by 2 long haired lads, near the river plym? near the frieght raliway depot???

if so, i remeber them very well and used to pop in for a coke mosty weekends to look at bikes and bits lol

The windsurfing shop in plymouth was at Queen Annes Battery, for the life of me the name illudes me.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:29 pm 
Lincs, East and South Yorks Deputy AEC
Lincs, East and South Yorks Deputy AEC

sinnerman wrote:
longun wrote:
sinnerman wrote:
I am no expert, but i think thats a B52, (but i clearly could be wrong, as i am only going from memory)

Originally only supplied in my area, by a Windsurfing/sailing store that also sold bikes, and this store only ventured into the mountain bike market, due to the Tushingham brand, and there obvious windsurfing background. If memory serves me right it would have been neon and white.

I was told either correctly or incorrectly, it all originated from a resprayed Muddy fox Courier, again this could all have been a load of bull, but i was young and keen, the similarities are there, perhaps the same far east manufacturer...??? who knows... i myself would love for Lester to fill in the blanks, after all without this.....would Orange have ever been...?

You have a real piece of Uk mountain bike history there my friend, and i am amazed at the condition to be fair.

sensational.

8)

Talk to Maverick hes the man when it comes to these.

was said shop in plymouth and run by 2 long haired lads, near the river plym? near the frieght raliway depot???

if so, i remeber them very well and used to pop in for a coke mosty weekends to look at bikes and bits lol

The windsurfing shop in plymouth was at Queen Annes Battery, for the life of me the name illudes me.

8)

thats the place!! :D

Post subject: Tushingham B52
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:29 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi there,

I've recently got my old bike out from the late 80's and put some new wheels and city tyres on it with the intention of doing some Tarmac miles on it... the bike in question is a Tushingham B52... :D

I bought it from a friend in 1990 who was upgrading - he'd resprayed it in a grey and black as it was looking a bit tatty and offered to do it before I bought it... unfortunately (looking at this forum now) I took him up on his kind offer... Luckily he retained the Tange Sticker on the frame though - it's 19.5" from BB to Seat Clamp.

Since I bought it i upgraded the 6-speed thumb-shifters to the new fangled Rapid-fire 7 Speed STI shifters, I got my local bike shop to rebuild the freewheel with a 7-speed indexed one - which never really worked that well so after a while I consigned it to the Garage and that was that.

I was thinking about putting some slick tyres on my Trek Hardtail (2008 4500 upgraded with XT Hydraullic Discs) but then picked up a nice pair of Mavic 238 Rims with a 7 Speed Hyperglide cassette... which matches the shifters on my B52 perfectly and I now have a nice retro street bike :D :D :D

Until I read this forum I had no idea of the significance of the bike... to me it's something to knock around on but if there is someone out there who would like it to restore (to original - it rides perfectly now) then I would sell it and buy something equally serviceable but more modern.

Pics are attached - if anyone is genuinely interested then let me know...

Attachments:
File comment: Original Exage Mountain U Brake...
B52_BACK_SM.jpg
B52_BACK_SM.jpg [ 350.59 KiB | Viewed 825 times ]
File comment: One original Sticker...
B52_FRONT_SM.jpg
B52_FRONT_SM.jpg [ 303.31 KiB | Viewed 825 times ]
File comment: Nice Retro Biopace chain Rings
B52_SIDE_SM.jpg
B52_SIDE_SM.jpg [ 259.88 KiB | Viewed 825 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:40 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

first dibs please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:40 pm 
Windmilling for a Scotch Egg
Windmilling for a Scotch Egg

If sinnerman needs help picking it up I may be able to help as I am in Huddersfield.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:02 pm 
Dirt Disciple

I'm currently Huddersfield side of Sheffield (S35) but I'm moving to North Bristol (Dursley) in a couple of weeks... I'll be back in Sheffield pretty much every week though so whatever's easiest / whoever's closest...

Loving this site by the way guys... If I had more time, funds and skills I'd get the frameset professionally stripped and original paintjob & graphics reinstated, I'm a recreational MTB'er though, rather than an enthusiast... I'm sure that if I let it go I'll kick myself in 20 years... More concerned about what my 13 Year old MTB mad son might say to me though when he finds out...!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:49 am 
Dirt Disciple

mrkawasaki wrote:
I have zero information to go on, so this is a call for those with snippets of knowledge, old adverts etc. to post here to compile a build sheet of sorts - so, what do we know??

Gallery pictures: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/u ... =xc6716546

MrKawasaki,

I've got a complete original bike (what's not original I can remember what it was originally...) so can pretty much tell you exactly what the original config was... :D
Wheels - Araya 26 x 1.500 Alloy with Exage FH-M450 solid spindle hubs
Exage Mountain Groupset:
6 Speed SIS Rear Freewheel
Exage Mountain Rear Mech
Exage Mountain Front Mech (bottom-pull)
Exage Mountain Cranks (175mm) with 28/38/48 BioPace SIS Chainrings
Standard non-cassette type BB
Exage Mountain Pedals
Rear Brake - Exage Mountain U Brake
Front Brake - Exage Mountain Cantilever
The headset you've got looks original, certainly the same as mine
Exage Mountain Brake Levers
Exage Mountain 6 Speed SIS Thumb Shifters (affixed to Brake Levers)
620mm wide Cro-Mo Flat MTB Bars
30º x 125mm Cro-Mo Stem with integral Pulley for Canti Brakes
Micro-adjust Alloy Seat Post (could be Kalloy...?)
Kalloy QR pinch Bolt
Viscount Leather-faced padded Saddle (can't make out graphic... Penta Proeizil...? :? )

Think that's about it... Mine had Tioga Farmer John's Nephew tyres on when I got it but they may not have been original...

Happy to post / PM / email pics if it helps :D :D :D

Good Luck with the build :wink:

Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:02 am 
Dirt Disciple

Nader wrote:
this could be a Tushingham 52 :roll:

Definitely is... looks to be the exact same spec as mine, even down to the saddle...

(minus the Pink Disc :? )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:19 am 
North Wales Deputy AEC
North Wales Deputy AEC

Orange's own Tushingham - as displayed at OWMTBC 2010.

NB. Double u-brakes.

Attachments:
DSC02220.JPG
DSC02220.JPG [ 202.86 KiB | Viewed 933 times ]

Last edited by mrkawasaki on Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next