In a pickle, need advice (KONA related ?)

giftshopduane

Dirt Disciple
So.. about 2 years ago I gave my brother my "pristine" 96 Kilauea, aarrrggghh! I was doing the brother good guy thing. I have regretted it ever since, I even hurt his feelings a little when I asked for it back, but hey he used to give me dead arms, and dribble spit in my face, but no dice.

So on to the hunt for another late 90's Kona. The other day I picked up a sweet 97' Cinder Cone, same size, used but super clean. $150 bucks.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... &start=495

Well to my surprise my brother said since I was sweet on the Kilauea and if this bike was nice he'd be willing to trade! Truth be told, I know its a lesser bike but I'm rather keen on the Cinder Cone. Or is it just that its a new toy.

hmm trade back for my bike or keep this one? I am also building a 2005 Cinder Cone now too..

Why can't I just take back my bike and have all 3?

I know what you mean about the attraction of the Cinder Cone; there's something particularly iconic about it even though, as you say, it is the lesser bike.

I passed my '97 Kilauea (my favourite Kilauea year...) onto my daughter as an upgrade on her Lavadome and I still miss it - but I do still have a Cinder Cone frame that is due a trip to the powder coaters' for a new green make over... :cool:

I would swap back for the Killi personally, I prefer the colour and the decals and it is a much better frame.

at least your brother has the bike still, when i lent my brother a bike after he got his nicked he then sold the bike i lent him so he could by a TV. and it wasn't a cheapo bike either, worth about a grand.

we don't talk anymore after that argument.

regards your situation, the kili is a better frame so if it's still in good condition i'd say try and get it back. factor in any repairs to the kili though parts wise, if it needs a fortune spending on it coz he hasn't maintained it it may be worth sticking with the cindercone

:)

giftshopduane":cvzshduz said:
So.. about 2 years ago I gave my brother my "pristine" 96 Kilauea, aarrrggghh! I was doing the brother good guy thing. I have regretted it ever since, I even hurt his feelings a little when I asked for it back, but hey he used to give me dead arms, and dribble spit in my face, but no dice.

So on to the hunt for another late 90's Kona. The other day I picked up a sweet 97' Cinder Cone, same size, used but super clean. $150 bucks.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... &start=495

Well to my surprise my brother said since I was sweet on the Kilauea and if this bike was nice he'd be willing to trade! Truth be told, I know its a lesser bike but I'm rather keen on the Cinder Cone. Or is it just that its a new toy.

hmm trade back for my bike or keep this one? I am also building a 2005 Cinder Cone now too..

Why can't I just take back my bike and have all 3?

Get it back and keep it, no trade! Both are lovely!

Back