1996 Kona Cinder Cone (Single speed conversion)

b3oty

Dirt Disciple
This is my first retro bike. I've just picked up this Cinder Cone on fleabay as I'm planning a single speed conversion to use it as a winter XC bike.

It's in much better condition than I expected and it's pretty much original except for the saddle and tyres (not sure about the pedals). So it feels a bit wrong stripping it down to a single speed, but never mind!

I've taken some photos as it was when I picked it up. I think it's in incredibly good nick for a 15 year old bike (just dirty and covered in cobwebs).

I'll add more photos once I've cleaned it up and done the single speed conversion.

Can anyone tell me what the weird bracket on the fork is for in the 1st photo please?

DSC02131.jpg

DSC02126.jpg

DSC02115.jpg

DSC02124.jpg

DSC02125.jpg

DSC02118.jpg

DSC02121.jpg

DSC02117.jpg

DSC02116.jpg

DSC02119.jpg

DSC02136.jpg

the weird bracket at the back of the forks is for a mudgaurd. the weired bracket at the front is a hook so iff your brake cable snaps the straddle cable doesn't lock onto the front tyre and shoot you over the bars.

jamabikes":1glrbpnk said:
the weird bracket at the back of the forks is for a mudgaurd. the weired bracket at the front is a hook so iff your brake cable snaps the straddle cable doesn't lock onto the front tyre and shoot you over the bars.

Thanks for that. I'll leave the front one on then!

b3oty":1cwos8rl said:
al-onestare":1cwos8rl said:
Nice buy, how much did this go for in the end?

Thanks. 150 quid

Excellent - I did ummm and ahhh this one a bit! I ride a 96 at the mo and it's lightening so enjoy. This is my 2nd fav coloured CC - give it proper good clean and polish and it'll come up dazzling.

al-onestare":aoufb0vi said:
b3oty":aoufb0vi said:
al-onestare":aoufb0vi said:
Nice buy, how much did this go for in the end?

Thanks. 150 quid

Excellent - I did ummm and ahhh this one a bit! I ride a 96 at the mo and it's lightening so enjoy. This is my 2nd fav coloured CC - give it proper good clean and polish and it'll come up dazzling.

Thanks. I can't wait to get it done and give it a blast

Hi,

That is a great bike! Good buy. I have got one myself and I am very happy with it.
The condition of the bike seems excellent, the cranks even have the decals still on them!

I think you should use the bike as it is for a time before you turn it in single speed.

Have fun with it!

Aaldert":3r4kwamj said:
Hi,

That is a great bike! Good buy. I have got one myself and I am very happy with it.
The condition of the bike seems excellent, the cranks even have the decals still on them!

I think you should use the bike as it is for a time before you turn it in single speed.

Have fun with it!

Thanks. I've just had a look at yours. It's a beauty!

I know what you mean regarding keeping it as is for a while, but the whole point of buying it was to convert it to a single speed winter bike!

I can always convert it back to standard at a later date and I'm toying with the idea of replacing the chainset completely rather than reducing it to a single ring as it's in such good nick. It seems a shame to wear those decals off over the winter!

If your intention was a single speed, you should proceed in doing so of course, I am sure it will be a great single speed.

It would be a shame if the decals wear of indeed.
If you might consider to get rid of those cranks, I would be happy to take ownership of them :)

Back