1996 GT LTS Rebuild - Freeride / multi-mountain

jthunder

Retro Newbie
I have recently pulled my old MTB out of storage after a long riding hiatus (job, kids, wife, etc). I'm in the process of getting it back providing reasonable performance. I'm not going to be getting back into any crazy DH stuff just mostly a mixed ride (street, mixed mountain, etc) I was wondering if anyone can help me with making some decisions.

1. Rear shock / Frame - I'm pretty sure that the oil cartridge in the original shock is gone, but I'm not sure how to tell (or how to disassemble it for that matter) the back end bounces on the spring pretty good, and I can see myself getting launched pretty good if I don't address it. Should I look at rebuilding the shock or should I get a new one? The frame also has replaceable bushings, which are original, but I'm not sure that they need to be replaced, maybe just serviced/cleaned. Any suggestions?

2. Front shock - I bought a Z-1 Bomber back in the day, and its always treated me right. If I keep it I'm going to rebuild it (replace seals and stuff). The only problem I have is with the brakes. The front slider mounts had dual "Formula Mount" instead of the now more popular ISO mounts. I tried to fit an Avid brake but it obviously isn't going to work. I also check with the marazocchi rep here in Canada and he had no advice for me at all. The option is to custom build an aluminum adapter and use the existing mounts, or replace the fork (arg!). Anyone got any better suggestions?

3. Headset / Stem - Kind of goes with the fork issue, the frame has a threaded headset that currently has a bit of play in it, so I'm likely going to have to replace it. I'd like to put a modern threadless headset on it but the fork I have has a threaded steer tube, and the answer atak stem is a quill type with a monster 150mm length. Although nice for climbing, combined with the rear ejector shock, more bar jumping potential. If I was to keep the fork then maybe I'd just use a quill adapter to mount a new shorty stem (50mm or so). Any suggestions for inexpensive headsets welcome.

4. Drivetrain - This is one of the bigger changes I want to make. I'm thinking about changing from the 3x8 configuration to a 1x8 getting rid of the front derailleur, and reconfiguring the front cog to a 34t or so with bashguard/chainguide. The rear I'll leave as is with the XT derailleur. Can/should I just use the existing 3-ring crank setup with just the middle ring, or is it better to replace it with a new crankset? The bottom bracket also has some play in it and likely needs to be replaced, so it might be an opportunity to address this once.

5. Braking - I'd like to fit mechanical discs to the bike but both the fork and rear frame don't have appropriate mounts for the ISO brakes. The forks problem I listed in #1, the rear I haven't found anybody who's built/attached ISO mounts to the frame. There are a couple of solutions out there but I'd like to hear what others have done.

Thanks again! I'll be posting some pics as I go and I'm sure posting many more questions...

JT

yep, as daj says get some pics up first.

1) the rear shock..I'm guessing Deluxe or Super Deluxe. fairly difficult to find, can't remmeber if TF Tuned service these, not sure that they do though - possibly worth a call - 01373 826800

otherwise your options are a Risse Racing shock, or a Genesis conversion (? I think) or there's a crazily expensive Fox conversion kit on ebay.

Back