95 Brodie Sovereign - finally finished the build.

FMJ

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Couple of months ago I get an email+attachments from my buddy. "I've got a harlequin project (one of his deceased brother's half finished bikes), are ya interested?". Always interested in one of my former riding partner's bikes. Bring 'er round.

har1-1.jpg

He came by the next day with the Sovereign. I had looked at the cell phone pics the previous night and started to plan what needed to go on it (seat, post, BB, crank, pedals, brakes), and what I wanted to swap out (bars, stem). Got a seat/post in it, got 'er up in the stand, and started to wrench (after opening a few Cameron's).

bs1.jpg

Put a Hope Ti BB I had in the shell, a XTR cassette on the freehub.

bs3.jpg

I don't know about the plastic bars, or the yellow stem, but those are easy fixes with what I have on the shelf.

bs2.jpg

My 2 biggest concerns were pedals (I didn't have much in the way of platforms lying around), and brakes. I have some Avid Ultimate levers and Machine Tech cantis handy. I prefer matching brakes, but.........problem solved. Buddy started laughing and pulled a pair of decent shape 730s and a set of Grafton brakes out of his messenger bag. Gotta love swag.

bs4.jpg

Time was short, so we fired up the BBQ to make lunch and retired to the house to eat and catch the TPC coverage. Back at it tomorrow.

Months later, the bike is finally where I want it. Went with Altek levers and polished some NOS Avid Tri-Align IIs I found buried at the LBS instead of the Graftons, which I could not get along with. Here's a few shots from a ride along the Bruce Trail on the escarpment by my house.

Frame: 95 Brodie Sovereign in B.C. Racing green
Fork: Brodie Gatorblade
Headset: Shimano XT
Stem: Ibis Titanium
Handlebar: Answer Hyperlite
Grips: Onza Ules
Brakes: Avid Tri-Align II
Brake Pads: Kool Stop Eagle Claw
Brake Cables: Shimano
Cantilever cable hangers: Avid Tri-Dangles
Brake Levers: Altek
Shifters: Shimano XT Thumbies
Front Derailleur: Shimano m900 XTR
Rear Derailleur: Shimano m900 XTR
Derailleur Cables: Shimano
Cassette: Shimano m900 XTR
Chain: Shimano HG
Cranks: Race Face Turbine
Crank Bolts: Syncros Crank 'o Matic
Chainrings: Race Face/Syncros
Chainring bolts: Race Face
Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN-91
Pedals: Shimano m730
Hub Skewers: Salsa
Rims: Araya RM-17
Hubs: Shimano m730
Tires: Panaracer Smoke/Dart
Tubes: IRC
Saddle: Selle Italia Flite
Seatpost: Syncros Hardcore
Seatpost Binder: Brodie
Weight: As always, don't care

s20.jpg

s21.jpg

s25.jpg

s26.jpg

s28.jpg

s29.jpg

s30.jpg

s34.jpg

s31.jpg

s33.jpg

s35.jpg

s36.jpg

Mate i like what you have done with it since your first thread....looks sweet... :cool:

And the pictures are exceptional... :cool:

Superb frame there, and nice build.

Note that the alignment pip on the inner ring should be under the crank arm.

So many nice builds being outed recently and this is no exception. Top drawer. :cool: :cool:

Back