1997/8 Mtrax Full Sus

AlexMtrax

Retro Newbie
I bought this bike I think in 1998 but it could be older. I remember paying around £800 for it from Kendal Cycles Castleford.
Don't know what model it is. Anyone know much about it.
Had a brochure once, the next modle up was Yellow IIRC?

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 2,106
I decided to give it a bit of clean.
I'm quite impressed with the results!

Attachments

• 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 2,095
Think I prefered the original orange but it looks like new now.

Funny how those designs havent changed much. Looks similar to modern konas/canyon still.

martymcfly":k0ley8uc said:
Have you kept the old Raleigh head badge?

You should put it on I reckon, would finish the build off nicely!

Yeah, just need some glue for it.

I have more pics of the stages of its rebuild, I'll try and get them uploaded tonight.
The original Indy C forks were upgraded to Manitou Slates back in 2003.
I gave them away, as they were a bit poor. The slates were badly pitted so I ended up going for the Toras shown! V brake Mounts on Forks are getting hard to come by.
All the Pivot bearings in the frame have been replaced with Igus Polymer ones.
Stickers were off Ebay, I emailed a Picture of the Original stickers and had the font copied best they could.
The Frame was Powder coated by LSN in Castleford, the 3 pieces and the spring cost £40!
The rest was mostly from CRC, Guess I got carried away as I only intended to give it a service!
My mates think I'm nuts as I have an Orange Five aswell.
You can't beat Retro though!

If it's what I think it is you have a handbuilt Reynolds 853 frame made at Raleigh Special Products. I was one on it's own and called the "Freeride".

The frame was designed by Justin Stevenson at Raleigh Special Products.

The following year it was developed into the 3 models using an imported alloy version of the frame and the 853 geometry was tweaked into the Raleigh DHO as used by Matt Farmer.

I have the protoype in my stable.

nice full-sus M-Trax :D

I used to pop into Kendal's in Cas fairly regularly bitd, though they always seemed more of a road oriented lot tbh.

Back