My Salsa with Full DEORE XT and S&S Couplings

Bristol

Dirt Disciple
Sorry but not too sure how old this bike is so posted it in this section, but will happily move it if the bike is newer.

As promised, pics of my new (to me) Salsa, it has a few small marks here and there but looks relatively unused. It just needs some light TLC and a new saddle/seat post. Any suggestions on what you think will suit it?

Fitted with these S&S couplings, which allow you to split the frame in two. I have only normally seen these on long distance touring bikes where people need to transport the bike via aeroplane. Bit weird to see it on a MTB.

Can't wait to go and ride it once it's ready :D

Anyway, here's some pics (let me know what you think):

what do you think to the couplings?

take it they are a modification?

Not sure yet, I haven't ridden the bike. Apparently they have no affect on the ride, and only weigh around 8oz's. But the bike is still very light.

Not sure if they were retrofitted or not, I know they can be fitted either way though.

I suppose they'd be useful if you needed to transport the bike in a small package. I guess the previous owner may have had plans for overseas trips with the bike.

sorted the bike today and took it for a ride, its an absolute whippet! accelerates so quickly and keeps momentum. handling is amazing as well, really nimble and responsive. I can't wait to take it out on a proper ride.

I like the turbo ala ritchey post idea, but other period correct suggestions appreciated.

I also need ideas on period correct pedals, quite like the idea of caged ones but not sure if they'd suit it?

also some xt canti brakes would finish off the rest of the group nicely, anybody got any for sale? or any other stuff I need?

thanks again

I like that. Even gives the impression of being light just from the photographs. I've always liked the idea of a Salsa, something to think about in the future when I've actually got a bit of cash.

Back