AlpineStars CroMega DX

Void(EN12-82)

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi all,

Got me this bike last saturday:
cromegadx.jpg

It looks quite good for it's age, because I think it's an oldie... I only remember the AlpineStars bikes had e-stays? So it should be pre-1992 I'm sure.

Owner had the drive side crank replaced with some Sakae one, the other side is this the DX crank. Brakes are also original MT-62 ones, but the levers were dia-compe and it had XT thumbshifters on. Derailleurs are also still original as are the wheels (DX hubs with Araya rims).

Only thing I would like to know, since I am gonna build it up original again: Did this bike come with those DX rapidfire shifters or did they have Deore thumbies with seperate MT62 brake levers?

Oh and any more info or a nice scan/link to the catalogue it's in would be nice as well (can't find it on mtbkataloge.de).

Now it's on to the cleaning and rebuilding, little work and should make a nice "dirt-bike" I think :)

Void

I got this one of Ebay a few weeks ago for the bargain price of £16 only an LX though.

Ap001.jpg

Void,

I think I've your one on a classified site overhere. I think you did a great buy with that. The tubing may not be very advanced (read light), but it is at least is sturdy. Not unimportant, as the aluminium Alpinestars were seriously lacking there. Of course the paint scheme, with the fluo yellow is bullseye.

I had an e-stay AlMega. It was from 1991. Hence I think yours must be pre 1991.

I have no idea whether your bike came with rapidfire or thumbies. If I had the choice I would go with the thumbies.

Luckily DX cranks are widely available.

very nice, sure they had STI back then but thumbies would be the best choice ;)

Hi all,

Thanx for the replies... Yeah I also only knew the e-stay bikes from back then. They were sold by some bike shop where I lived when I was still in school, that should have been 1991/1992 I guess. Still remember getting the AlpineStars and the Scott catalogues there. Scott had that green e-stays bike as well around those days. I always wanted an Al-Mega back then, I loved the Al-Mega XT and it has always been one of my favorites, but in here I only read bad stories about those (like Elev12k's that was cracked, too bad because he had the model I really liked, the black/white one).

So, I guess I would go with thumbies then? Luckily I still have one NOS one lying around here and I still have the brake levers off my Stumpjumper FS (those had thumbies and seperate DX brake levers). So now to go after a drive side DX crank and one thumbie... and a handle bar since that dude shortened it to around 20cm :shock:

BTW: I have never read anything about that here, but am I the only one who remembers John Tomac going down a slope on a Ti-Mega with a RockShox 1 in some AlpineStars catalogue?? Or am I now really talking b****x? :oops:

It's a 1990 model. I know because I was going to buy one back in 1991... I went for a trek 8000 instead...

Latest posts

Back