Klein Pulse Comp

PIGEON

Retro Guru
So I picked up this frameset the other day. I was just surfing the local classifieds website not really looking for something specific (as you do) and I stumbled upon this Klein Pulse Comp frameset. I can't afford to build a bike up from scratch right now and a Pulse Comp certainly isn't the most desirable of Kleins, but I thought I'd put in an offer, not really expecting the seller to take it. The folowing morning however, I was surprised to find an e-mail in my inbox saying the seller accepted my bid :)
The paint isn't great, with a fair amount of chips, cable rub, some bubbling where the front mech band was and wear on the chain stays where the previous owners heels apparently rubbed. I don't really mind though because the price was right and this way I won't feel guilty for building it up with parts that I have laying around. Right now I'm thinking single speed with mostly black parts, tan Panaracer Magics, tan San Marco Concor, unknown CNC chainset and white outer cables.

Not too sure about the year, my guess is 1996? Any help in putting a date on it is appreciated ;)

2s7di09.jpg

Its a 1997 one, I owned one upto 2006 then selling the frame (then discovering this place) lovely frames, yes not "proper" Kleins bit still lovely rides, now own a 1998 one

Ah so it's '97. Doesn't change much I suppose, post Trek just like my guess of '96, but still made in Chehalis, and it still has the Klingon font. To me, the introduction of the newer font (1999?) really marked the end of Klein, they don't appeal to me at all.

What's the difference between a 1996 and 1997 model by the way? The number of bottle cage screws and the downtube that's squared where it meets the headtube perhaps? (can't tell whether the '96 also has that from looking at pictures)

Yours is nice, if I didn't already have most of the parts in black, your bike would have made me seriously consider to build mine with silver bits :cool:

Managed to find a magic gear of 46/17. I won't be taking it off road and the ratio is exactly the same as my single speed commuter so it should be ok, I just hope the knobby tyres won't work against me too hard. I might swap them out with some fat Ritchey slicks I have or skinny Schwalbe Kojaks if it turns out to be too much, but I'm really liking the look of these creme Panaracers so I hope they can stay. The rest is pretty much a mishmash of parts I had laying around, white brake cables and red Oury grips will go on when the brake levers have arrived and I need to order a 17t single speed sprocket because the chain won't stay on with the 17t cassette sprocket that's on there now. And since this isn't a period correct build anyway, I'm also toying with the idea of getting a Mosso fork to save some grams..

5tyyqs.jpg

Back