Retromod Newsboy - 084

bushpig

Senior Retro Guru
newsboy-+_1_.jpg

I went to town on this bike. This is the before (how it looked fresh from Craigslist):
merlin_newsboy_084_012.jpg

Nice frame, and also some cool parts, but the build isn´t my cup of tea :oops: Probably one of the most difficult frames to build IMO. I´d go for a Ritchey fork as appeared in the Merlin brochure, but the other bits are hard to choose. Will se how goes mine, nº 103, will be finished soon.
This one is a S?

The chain guide is one of the parts I had made for this bike.

Re the build, definitely a case of different strokes for different folks - this is my dream build for sure.

I like it a lot. The post is sweet, that saddle is a favorite too. What's the deal with the jobbie on the back of the fork?

Here's a nitpick for you---align your tire labels and rim labels before the next photo shoot ;)

Nate - the tang coming from the fork is a steering limiter. It keeps the brake from smashing into the frame in the event of a crash. The chord is parachute chord and it is attached to a modified hose clamp. The tang itself is a funky military alloy and is very neat. It makes a wonderful "ping" when untethered. I will probably ride this one if there is an NYC-area vintage ride. Something should be set up at Graham Hills or Cunny.

I have a problem with Newsboys; they could be a very elegant, swoopy design, but there's one totally needless flaw - Where the seatstays meet tghe seat tube and continue their arc forward, there is a flat spot which totally ruins the effect. It doesn't need to be there; Merlin are obviously very good at bending pipes unnecessarily, so why leave this bit straight?
It looks like Mr Creosote has had a go.
Sorry, but it's not a patch on your Rossin. :(

The new build is clearly more suited a frame of the newsboy's calibre than the original mid range one.

Is the new fork long enough? Seem to recall the newsboy's of this vintage came equipped with a Judy as stock.

One other point, what's the thing out the back of the fork bridge?

Back