Super Duper Singlespeed Daewoo

thel33ter

Retro Guru
I've had this frame lying around for ages, so I decided to go through my spares bin and try to build it up, turns out I didn't have as much as I though, so I ended up doing a super cheap build of it, think I spent less than £50 when it was done :) The frame itself is a bit of an unknown, but weighs below 4lbs, and is very short and low, which makes it great fun to ride. Cheers to MM for the forks, Nathanman for the brakes, Jamabikes for the chainring and everyone else for the Karma bits :D

Frame: Daewoo Genius 25th anniversary edition (which dates it to around 1992)
Forks: Manitou SX
Tensioner: A modified rear mech that was very bent.
Front wheel: Alex rim on a Formula hub.
Back wheel: Araya (I think) on an Acera hub.
Tyres: IRC Mythos XC front and Tioga XC rear
Brakes: Deore levers and callipers
Bars: Kalloy risers with Titec barends and Yeti grips.
Stem: Red Art 70mmish
Seatpost: No idea
And it has a ti rear QR :cool:

5522934197_421ef0e4c1_z.jpg

5523526414_e6fd24314b_z.jpg

5523525406_cb54aab6f3_z.jpg

5522933941_49b4f43fee_z.jpg

Finally, the obligatory 'pretty' shot of it in use

5589450180_22c3f1600d_b.jpg

These always reviewed ok from what I can remember, but even so that is an impressive frame weight!

Like the rear mech mod, how does that work then? Does it do the job well? The jockey wheel looks like it could do with degreasing/cleaning a bit though or might just be me.

coomber":15937ccu said:
These always reviewed ok from what I can remember, but even so that is an impressive frame weight!

Like the rear mech mod, how does that work then? Does it do the job well? The jockey wheel looks like it could do with degreasing/cleaning a bit though or might just be me.

It works great, I basically cut the bottom half of the cage off, limit screws all the way in on both sides pretty much and an extra long B screw to give it loads of tension.

A half link chain would let me get it a bit closer to the rear sprocket, because with such a small amount of chain touching the sprocket like this I worry a bit about it slipping, only happened twice while everything was bedding in though. In hindsight a rapid rise mech would work better, as you could make it push down on the chain from in line with the chainstay.

Jockey wheel is in pretty bad nick, but it spins fine. Plus I really don't want to take it off, as it is a pain in the @rse to get it back on :LOL:

Interesting. Glad it works!

Just get some degreaser on a rag or just a rag on its own. Get that grease build up off.

Does look like a fun bike.

I'll try get round to it at some point. It is great fun to ride, it's soooo much more maneuverable than my Enduro, and just overall a better bike than my Hardrock.

Back