1992 Kirk Revolution DX

Senri

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Finally!! I got this frame from a good friend some time ago. Because of other projects, I didn't get around to finishing it, but selling some of my bikes and other parts helped me funding this project. It is far from period correct, I just chose some parts that I liked and were not too crazy expensive, most from here actually. I didn't want another Rafty project that made me spent 2500 euro on second hand parts!
I still think has come together nicely, although I will probably never be sure about the blue accents. A lot will disagree and tell me it is too little, but I tried to keep it a bit british... Enjoy!

Specs first:
Frame: 1992(?) Kirk Revolution DX

Fork: Pace RC30

Headset: Onza Mongo III
Stem: Titec
Handlebar: brandless high polish riser
Grips: Charge Sponge

Brakes: Suntour XC Pro
Brake Pads: Suntour
Brake Cables: Shimano XTR
Cantilever cable hangers: Suntour
Brake Levers: Suntour XC Pro

Shifters: Shimano XTR M952
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XTR M952
Derailleur Cables: Shimano
Cassette: Shimano SLX
Chain: Shimano XT
Cranks: Topline SLS
Chainrings: Sugino 34t
Chainring bolts: Sinz bmx
Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN-53
Pedals: VP Beartrap

Hub Skewers: USE Spin Stix Ti
Rims: Mavic 117 SUP Ceramic
Hubs: Middleburn
Tyres: IRC Mythos XC

Saddle: Cahrge Spoon
Seatpost: Ringle Evolution
Seatpost Binder: Ebay....

Weight: 11.2kg or 24.7lbs

DSCN4076s.jpg

DSCN4072s.jpg
DSCN4073s.jpg

DSCN4075s.jpg
DSCN4087s.jpg

DSCN4079s.jpg

mattbrown":us3d3em6 said:
very nice, how flexy is that frame btw?, my one in my signature is pretty stiff.

Tomorrow I will do the local trail, so then I can say more, but vertically it seems pretty ok, but in torsinal direction it feels like pudding! This might not be a problem when riding, but it is a very funny feeling that I just have to get used to.
I have heard about fraems that are stiff and that are flexy with a possible connection to cracks. I really don't hope so, I couldn't find any obvious ones during inspection at least.

Thanks for the nice words! The trail was... strange, but I can't actually find the right words. It seems a bit like the ultimate-pedal-efficiency-training-machine. As long as you pedal straight, the frame is stiff, but forgiving. But as soon as you get some torque in it, it really wobbles! A lot of feedback on your feet position and forces. I was afraid at first to stand on it, but surprisingly, it felt really good and efficient. I experienced a similar feeling once before on a Mongoose I had, at the moment you stand it feels like a spring unwinds and pushes you forward.
All in all a very nice ride which I will certainly use it a lot!
BTW what is the solution to stop the chain fall of the single gearring? I only experienced this with 1x? setups, mainly to the outside. Maybe a chain keeper of some sort?

Back