Raleigh Dyna-tech Diablo Titanium

DA-EVO

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
This is the 1st of my Mountain bikes I have posted up and it is my most recent purchase, in fact it dropped through my letterbox* on Wednesday.

Bought from a very nice chap on here, I have actually yet to ride it as I want to give it a quick scrub up and change the tyres prior to doing so. One slight problem with the bike is that the seat-post, whilst Dyna-tech marked, seems to be a little narrow for the frame so I am looking at if I need a sleeve for it, or perhaps I will just put something else in there for now until I know whats what.

I have been looking for some Gumwall tyres this week but nothing is showing its face so far, I guess I'll be putting some new / spare tyres on it also for the time being. I will update the thread as I go on.

Anyway, here is the 1st pic and Spec

Frame: Raleigh Dyna-tech 2125 Titanium / Cr-Mo Bonded Tubeset

Fork: Raleigh Cr-Mo

Headset: Tioga
Stem: Raleigh - colour matched
Handlebar: Marin
Grips: Ritchey

Brakes: Dia Compe 965 Cantilever
Brake Pads: Std
Cantilever cable hangers: Raleigh / generic / stock
Brake Levers: Dia Compe SS-5

Shifters: Shimano Deore Thumb Shifters
Front Derailleur:Deore LX
Rear Derailleur:Deore LX

Cassette: 7s Deore
Chain: n/a
Cranks: Deore LX
Chainrings:Shimano SG 46 / 36 / 26 (ish)
Chainring bolts: yes
Bottom Bracket: Deore
Pedals: Deore LX* (were generic)

Hub Skewers: Deore
Rims: Mavic M232 Profil (Silver)
Hubs: Deore LX
Tyres: Schwalbe Smart Sam rear, Maxxis Ignitor front* (previously slicks)

Saddle: Selle Rolls* (Was vetta)
Seatpost: generic* (was Dyna-tech)
Seatpost Binder: Integrated

*letterbox not shown for security reasons

Attachments

• DSC01639-sml.JPG
    DSC01639-sml.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 2,382
Right - gave it a wash yesterday and it came up rather clean, all things told.

Put some spare tyres on (seems that they never ran amberwalls back in the day so the black ones look normal) and put some spare Deore LX pedals on it. Had to swap out the seatpost for something generic and stuck a rolls on it too.

Also removed the old pump / bottle cage for now and Its good to go. Did a few trips around the block and next ride will be on the Downs I suspect.

In terms of kit its really near original spec but not exact. Not sure on next steps with it - but heres a pic or two anyhow.

Attachments

• DSC01769-aftersml.JPG
    DSC01769-aftersml.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 2,305
  • DSC01772-aftersml2.JPG
    DSC01772-aftersml2.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 2,304
I like it, especially the crazy paintwork on the main tubes, such an early 90's thing to do.
I have a Diablo frame awaiting restoration, so it will be interesting to see how you go with yours.

How is it like to ride?

jimo746":35fnugfx said:
I like it, especially the crazy paintwork on the main tubes, such an early 90's thing to do.
I have a Diablo frame awaiting restoration, so it will be interesting to see how you go with yours.

How is it like to ride?

It is very loud in colour. I've only ridden it approx 1 mile so far and went around the block on it. It climbs nicely as its pretty light. I am not a big fan of Thmb-shifters, but will report back when I have been a bit further on it.

What frame have you got and whats the plans for it?

DA-EVO":1i1cofoo said:
One slight problem with the bike is that the seat-post, whilst Dyna-tech marked, seems to be a little narrow for the frame so I am looking at if I need a sleeve for it, or perhaps I will just put something else in there for now until I know whats what.

An easy fix is to make a shim out of a Pepsi can.
Other cola drinks are available and their containers will do just as well

DA-EVO":341qh728 said:

I believe it is a 94'Diablo frame, bought off Ebay but used to belong to a member on here. It's in a sorry state tbh, probably easier to do like you have and buy one in good nick, but then I like a challenge lol.

It will be built up with whatever I can find and become my go to the shops/ work/road/ light trails bike. Don't hold your breath though lol!

i believe in fixies":xakr1tt2 said:
DA-EVO":xakr1tt2 said:
One slight problem with the bike is that the seat-post, whilst Dyna-tech marked, seems to be a little narrow for the frame so I am looking at if I need a sleeve for it, or perhaps I will just put something else in there for now until I know whats what.

[/quote

An easy fix is to make a shim out of a Pepsi can.
Other cola drinks are available and their containers will do just as well

I can't believe you would suggest such a thing on a fine thoroughbred as this! Mebbe i will try it with an upturned can of special brew or similar ;)

I hate pepsi! But thanks that would probably do the job nicely. It seems from some pics I have seen that there possibly was a shim in some of the bikes. What was odd that I put a 26.8 in there today but when measured it seemed the hole was 27.2 and so was the 26.8 post. Very odd. Not seen any specs for the tubes either but 27.2 was standard on a lot of raleighs.

Fitted better however. No struggle installing either.

jimo746":31gb3nxk said:
DA-EVO":31gb3nxk said:

I believe it is a 94'Diablo frame, bought off Ebay but used to belong to a member on here. It's in a sorry state tbh, probably easier to do like you have and buy one in good nick, but then I like a challenge lol.

It will be built up with whatever I can find and become my go to the shops/ work/road/ light trails bike. Don't hold your breath though lol!

The bike as is, is quite light. I think it is on a par with my Van Nic although that has suspension on the front. I know the 'don't hold your breath' thing as I have a few road bikes in that state. But good luck with it as mine seems ok so far and it was a good price when all was done. It will probably end up as juniors bike in a year or two.

Back