1989 Specialized Rockhopper comp

HarryCrumb

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I built this bike up for the OWMBC 10, but due to a fault on the front brake pad I didnt want to risk putting the tyre through :(

many thanks to Mel who pointed it out for me when I arrived Friday

pics taken by the previous owner for his ebay ad
BH01ZgmkKGrHqUOKnQEvyFry0lkBMMKGdzlyg_12.jpg

BH2KqmkKGrHqQOKjQEwsrzsYSBMMKKk2kWg_3.jpg

BH1VMQBWkKGrHqQOKiIEwQOlgDJ-BMMKIC7zQ_3.jpg

BH1LKQB2kKGrHqYOKiwEwRToRkPCBMMKHmOJBg_3.jpg

BH1j9wEGkKGrHqYOKjEwRVJgd2sBMMKIsmKpQ_3.jpg

BH1EgWkKGrHqIOKi4EwvEtig4CBMMKHCthMg_3.jpg

I have stripped the bike right down and de-greased all the parts and used T-cut to polish up the alloy parts, and T-cut and tin foil to polish up the chrome.
The paint and decals also received some T-cut followed by a coat of finish line teflon polish for the final shine.

To my surprise when the sun first caught the frame I noticed for the first time there was a green and purple sparkle/fleck in the paint, this also matched the decals and gave me some ideas for subtle addition of colour.

Things I have changed:
1) BB was not original and was a sealed shimano, this was replaced with a ti Royce I had lying around.
2) Biopace outer and inner rings and a round 38T middle were removed and replaced with shimano 28T inner, Stronglight 34T middle and 46T early Pace.
3) Chrome chainring bolts replaced with black alu ones
4) plastic MK pedals replaced with Onza HOs
5) Sedis chain was looking old so a Sram PC870 was fitted
6) The seat post was sakae and looked as though a hammer had been taken to it, so I borrowed the Kalloy one off the Giant along with the Giant's Turbo Saddle as a temp measure until the right type of post (Strong maybe) is sourced. The post was also too small in diameter so was not the original item anyway and the saddle was a modern specialized type.
7) Road/trail tyres replaced with Smoke lite rear and an IRC Mythos front.
:cool: The steel stem was swapped for a Tioga T-Bone which looked the part but I preferred it to the tatty oem stem, as the T-Bone was without a cable stop I fitted a Tektro Fork Rocker and this works really well.
9) most bolts and fittings have be changed for titanium, hub axles, skewers, brake block clamps, boss bolts, clamp bolts, thumb bolts, seat bolt, etc etc.
10) brass nipples have been swapped for aluminium Araya ones in black gold and purple to match the decals. Purple bottle cage bolts have also been fitted.
11) The bike came with one deore2 thumb and a base model shimano rear, I found some replacement Deore2 thumbs on here (thanks RAFbikes)

I am thinking of removing some of the Ti bits and putting the QRs back on as I do like the original look of them??

Saddle has been levelled since the pictures to lower the nose using spirit level ;) .

Iam leaning towards taking this out on the 25th to the Peaks ride instead of the GT, not sure yet.

If your still awake here are some pics of the finished item
P9030002.jpg

P9030011.jpg

P9030010.jpg

P9030009.jpg

P9030008.jpg

P9030007.jpg

P9030006.jpg

P9030005.jpg

P9030004.jpg

P9030003.jpg

Looks spot on Martin and going by the speed it passed me at on Saturday, it rides well too :shock:

Looks spot on Martin and going by the speed it passed me at on Saturday, it rides well too

cheers Mark, I even put Parkpre decals on it as a disguise just for the Sat ride ;)

Hope the traffic was kinder for you on Sunday, over two hours and hadnt even reached Chester. damn that A55

I had the blue/white version of the same bike in college. Very comfortable and fit me like a glove. Well done.

Saw that on ebay, nearly had a pop myself :LOL:

You've done it justice, well done, looks ace. Hope my Rockhopper turns out as well once I've scrubbed the frame up and put all the bits on.

Looked really nice in the flesh on the weekend, and those Ti Canti pad retainers are a top quality finishing touch :cool: :cool: :oops:

Thanks guys :D

shame I couldn't ride it at the OWMBC due to a faulty pad, but I may take it to the annual peaks ride if I don't take my avalanche '92

The fella I got the ti canti calmps from on ebay also sold me the ti axles and the axle bolts, he seems to have dissapeared but i may track him down on my paypal ac and point him to the site and he may get business to start producing again?

Since the pics I have cleaned up the original Specialized seat clamp QR and I am thinking about putting the QRs for the wheels back on????? not sure yet what to do.

I also had the pleasure of seeing this in the flesh, you really have done a top job on that. Hope to see it out on the trails soon :cool:

Back