Unknown Ti Frame - 90's TST? with Dean dropouts?

redzephyr

Kona Fan
Hi Guys,

Hoping someone (like newsboy, Mojo Ti or 24pouces) might be able to help id this Ti frame. I guess its a custom build but someone out there might know better. I got it in a pawn shop auction on the local NZ trademe site for NZ$735 (370GBP).
All the xtr was already on it along with two sets of crossmax wheels. It had a Bontrager seat post when i picked it up.
I put on the Dean seat post and Moots stem.

Any help appreciated.

Do these look like Dean dropouts?

compared to ez054098's Dean...
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=210378&start=90

the main issue is the cable routing...I was looking through pictures of a lot of Ti frames in the show us your Ti's but never saw one with this routing configuration.

top tube routing for the RD..

and down tube routing for the FD..

the serial is NC18000

Attachments

• Unknown Ti.jpg
    Unknown Ti.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 1,436
  • Unknown_Ti_dropouts.jpg
    Unknown_Ti_dropouts.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 1,436
  • Unknown_Ti_seatpost.jpg
    Unknown_Ti_seatpost.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 1,436
  • Unknown_Ti_headtube.jpg
    Unknown_Ti_headtube.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 1,436
  • Unknown_Ti_downtube.jpg
    Unknown_Ti_downtube.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 1,434
  • Unknown_Ti_serial.jpg
    Unknown_Ti_serial.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,434
  • Dean_dropouts.jpg
    Dean_dropouts.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 1,435
No idea.
There are pawn shops on many high streets over here, Im going to start having a look-see for decent stuff.

Re:

Hello :D
The only thing I can tell you : yes, it's a TST - Sandvik made frame. For the year : After 93-94, when Kona and Dean began to use those specific dropouts and before 96 (the canti cable hanger on the seat stays) What brand is it ? Difficult to guess, because Sandvik made for lot of brand : Kona, Dean, DBR, Mc Mahon, RekTec, Assama, Emery… or perhaps a local NZ Bicycle brand which bought some frames. You have to look for which brand were imported in NZ.
The seat post would say us it's a Dean, but Dean frames usually got more sloping geometries, copy from Jo Murray's

Wheels, fork and groupo are upgrade, but you can make a nice retrobike with that frame :D

PS : your frame seems to be repaired on the left stay

Thanks for looking at it.

I did notice the the Kona's had similar dropouts and saw the King Kahunas' had similar routing at one stage but as you say ... the geometry is obviously wrong for both Kona and Dean.
When I first saw the bike on the auction site I thought it was a Marin....but that was soon discounted. I thought that the NC in the serial might be a guide but can't think what it stands for.

For 370 quid I'm not going to worry about it too much - with the 2 sets of wheels, XTR running gear and Look cycle bag I think way ahead.

Will just leave it unbranded i think.... maybe put on custom decals

Redzephyrs Rat Ti or Redzephyrs Ti Fighter

Re:

A good buy. I would like 24pouces . not easy to identify , have you the number of the frame.

Re: Re:

mojo ti":1b1qrh2z said:
A good buy. I would like 24pouces . not easy to identify , have you the number of the frame.
The serial is NC18000 I figure the "NC" stands for the company that ordered it. The "18" might have something to do with the year/month but that would mean 91 August I guess. From the Titan below it looks like those dropouts were in use in 92 so that could be right.
I figure that "000" just means its a custom build ....so one off?

My '92 Centurion titan has the same dropouts, very similar everything, but all three cable stops are on the top tube. And the seat tube is longer.

(This is not the current build, but it shows the frame details best...)

Thanks Thias, yeah that really does look similar. Even the position of the RD cable stops on the seat stay look similar. That front wheel spoke configuration is so cool.

What's the serial number of yours?

I like the look of yours with the rigid forks and the flite saddle.

Mine has a "Made in USA" stamped into the bb shell, above the serial number. Its "CT xxxxx".

So I think, your "NC" will be the code for the company that ordered the frame, as you expected.

Latest posts

Back