Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:05 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:36 pm 
Old School GrandMaster | Rider
Old School GrandMaster | Rider

8) a lot neater now, and looking good with the crankset on. Is it just 2spd? how is that working out for you? also the front mech could go lower as it looks high over the rings.

I really like the front on shot too, showing the taper in the forks and the profile of the frames downtube. And those Avid Black-ops will go really well with the build, very nice 8)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:38 pm 
Gold Trader | rBoTM Winner

Rank_21 wrote:
Lovely set up. I just contacted someone through a french announcement site for that particular mars 9000 derailleur. I'm guessing you went through the same person? Good derailleur?. I like the frm components. Been wondering wether they ever made vbrakes and levers. I know they made those pre vbrake styled cantis but haven't found anything there after.

I bought the mech from here recently - from Philipe. I believe he has another
It was €90 inc delivery NOS and really classy and nice!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:42 pm 

mk one wrote:
8) a lot neater now, and looking good with the crankset on. Is it just 2spd? how is that working out for you? also the front mech could go lower as it looks high over the rings.

I really like the front on shot too, showing the taper in the forks and the profile of the frames downtube. And those Avid Black-ops will go really well with the build, very nice 8)

Thanks man!
2 speed is working out very well as I usually stick to the middle ring- and haven’t really noticed much
Yes- I didn’t move it adjust the front mech since replacing the 3 speed. So need to adjust it as the chain rubs against the mech when on lowest toothed highest gear rear cog. I think I may need to shorten the chain my a link too.

I’m really liking it - so very light - was under 20 lbs with the barro race tyres and around 20 lbs now with the Mythos XC

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:59 pm 

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/ ... talog-2006

Here’s the catalogue with the V Brakes

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:03 am 
Old School Hero

Nice they look similar to these, the older version
Attachment:
1.png
1.png [ 453.9 KiB | Viewed 816 times ]

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:49 am 

Rank_21 wrote:
Nice they look similar to these, the older version
Attachment:
1.png

Wow these are lovely !
The rear derailleur works superbly and effortlessly with the M970 shifters i have - slick accurate shifting.
I recommend it - rare as anything and very nicely made - I think higher quality than M950 for sure and not far off M900.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:48 pm 
Old School Hero

I'm waiting for mine to arrive, gonna try a near full french made build except levers

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:08 pm 

Rank_21 wrote:
I'm waiting for mine to arrive, gonna try a near full french made build except levers

That’ll be interesting to see. EGS levers can be found I think - which will make it all French!
I did a Euro build on my Raleigh dynatech decade (on my sig) Sachs new success front and rear mechs - Sachs power grip extreme shifters - Xlite, Hope, Campag Record OR/Euclid/Centaur for the rest - but I was unable to change the M900 headset as it’s custom
Made for the frame/fork.

I must admit, I’m really impressed with the Mars rear mech - build quality is very good - almost on par with the indestructible Sachs New Success!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:28 pm 
Old School Hero

Your right I'd overlooked egs, they did have levers that accompanied their shifters. Similar to these:

https://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx ... 665a85248a .
Presuming they are vbrake compatible.

I was planning on the same shifters as the one's on your decade build in 8 speed. I wonder if the older sachs shifters were indeed built by egs for sachs?...The egs shifters are an acquired taste though
As for cranks and headset: Stronglight rockstrong (who also used the same quarz derailleur and shifters in their groupset in gold!).
By the way, I really like those euclid pedals too for their size. Much more beautiful than the equivalent XT version.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:19 pm 
Retro Guru

ibbz wrote:
Rank_21 wrote:
Lovely set up. I just contacted someone through a french announcement site for that particular mars 9000 derailleur. I'm guessing you went through the same person? Good derailleur?. I like the frm components. Been wondering wether they ever made vbrakes and levers. I know they made those pre vbrake styled cantis but haven't found anything there after.

I bought the mech from here recently - from Philipe. I believe he has another
It was €90 inc delivery NOS and really classy and nice!

I've bought the other one, but who knows he may have more...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next