Today, my baby turns 21 (now with more photos).

Re:

Nice bike.
I also bought my first proper mountain bike from Channels, a '89 Saracen Tuff Trax in March 1990.
They had a good and much under used site there not really used to it's full potential IMO. I used to occassionally ride up to Channels from my folks house which was a few miles away and ride around the lake and the forest course (over the road) with a couple of mates. Never sure if we were allowed to ride there or not :)
Yep, Channels no longer there, seem to recall it went in the early '00s? Also, I think the owner went to live overseas - Oz?

Hi Henne,

Didn't Channels had three stores, Thurrock, Chelmsford and one out at that old WW2 airfield ... was it North Weald?

The Chelmsford branch was in a terrific spot for test riding bikes. And the guy who worked there (Mick) had a very dry way about him - he was a top bloke. Pity it closed.

After that I used Biketrax (run by a guy called Laurence) who were opposite the bus station. I'm pretty sure they had another store in Brentwood.

I have some great memories of riding through the Essex countryside - Pleshey, Great Dunmow, Coggleshall, Halstead, Saffron Walden ... and loads of other beautiful places I've forgotten the names of.

my word, thats lush!!!!! looks very clean and just right. time spent on "our" bikes is worth it in every way, be it a 5k merlin or saracen andes fs (ill find a 21" one day ;) )

That looks like it’s just left the shop!

I would have binned the girlfriend as soon as shoe piped up saying she wanted a bike too.

Re:

That's what it's all about, very cool. :cool:

Didn't Channels advertise heavily in MBUK? Seem to remember the ad with pictures up both sides? Stocked Orange and Saracen?

Back