Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:28 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:57 pm 

I saw this thread and it made me smile. I've wanted a steel Stumpjumper since they were first launched (YES that long!). A friend somehow managed to buy himself a 1991 Stumpjumper Team with XC Pro on it BITD and I promised myself I'd get one someday. I picked up virtually the same frame as the one in this thread a while back and have now tracked down most of a XC Pro groupset, with a few XC Comp extras to start putting it together. I'll get a headset fitted and then make a start on the build in earnest.

One question I'd welcome some views on is whether to fit the original forks, or some Pace RC35s which I'm about to strip down and rebuild? I've wanted to put some Pace forks on a steel beastie for almost as long!

Attachments:
IMG_2109.jpg
IMG_2109.jpg [ 645.78 KiB | Viewed 130 times ]
IMG_2108.jpg
IMG_2108.jpg [ 659.63 KiB | Viewed 130 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:45 pm 
Old School GrandMaster | Rider
Old School GrandMaster | Rider

Paulk964 wrote:
I saw this thread and it made me smile. I've wanted a steel Stumpjumper since they were first launched (YES that long!). A friend somehow managed to buy himself a 1991 Stumpjumper Team with XC Pro on it BITD and I promised myself I'd get one someday. I picked up virtually the same frame as the one in this thread a while back and have now tracked down most of a XC Pro groupset, with a few XC Comp extras to start putting it together. I'll get a headset fitted and then make a start on the build in earnest.

One question I'd welcome some views on is whether to fit the original forks, or some Pace RC35s which I'm about to strip down and rebuild? I've wanted to put some Pace forks on a steel beastie for almost as long!

I say go with your heart, also you should start a thread of your build here in the Readers MTB section 8)

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:14 am 

Thanks! Very tempted to go with the RC35s - if I can get them working ok. I’ll be sure to write a thread and share some pics!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:45 pm 
BoTM Winner / Gold Trader / Rider
BoTM Winner / Gold Trader / Rider

Personally, can't stand early pace forks, but love Stumpies rocking their original steel fork