Just a good ol' 1990 Specialized Stumpjumper

jimi911

BoTM Triple Crown
BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
You always remember your first right?

Well this was mine. I got one new in January of 1992 from Cycle Logic in Toronto. It was a demo bike and I got a pretty good deal on it as I recall. I lived on this in the summer of 1992 ... so many great memories and scars. It was stolen when I was 17 and I got a FS as a replacement.

It's been hard as heck to track down one of these in any sort of decent condition. I find its easier to get your mitts on a high end bike in great shape than a lower end one. As luck would have it, finally, one came up in Hamilton. I paid $40 for it :)

The bike was rode for a single season and parked. It was filthy and the owner replaced the seat which was vermin eaten. Only downside is that he decided to get it out to ride with his kid and didn't think if doing any maintenance on the 28 year old tubes. Shredded the yellow label specialized tires after they blew :(

What my $40 got me ...

Tore down to the frame and rebuilt.

As it sits awaiting the snow. Outside of the fat tires, seatpost, and no oddesey straddle rods this is the clone to my original bike.

Frame: 1990 Stumpjumper

Fork: Direct Drive

Headset: Specialized
Stem: Specialized
Handlebar: Specialized
Grips: Ritchey
Barends: Onza

Brakes: Deore DX
Brake Pads: Kool Stop
Brake Cables: Shimano
Cantilever cable hangers: Shimano
Brake Levers: Deore DX

Shifters: Deore DX
Front Derailleur: Deore DX
Rear Derailleur: Deore DX
Derailleur Cables: Shimano
Cassette: Shimano
Chain: Shimano
Cranks: Deore DX
Crank Bolts: Shimano
Chainrings: Shimano
Chainring bolts: Shimano
Bottom Bracket: Specialized
Pedals: Shimano

Hub Skewers: Odessey
Rims: Mavic
Hubs: Deore DX
Nipples: DT
Spokes: DT
Tyres: Nobby Niks
Tubes: MEC

Saddle: Selle Turbo
Seatpost: Syncros
Seatpost Binder: Odessey

Weight: Heavier than my 15 year old self remembers ;)

Great bike. I always wanted this exact model back in the days (and I am still looking for one), however, my first " mountainbike" was a 1990 Giant Coldrock. What's the frame and fork like now you can compare it to all those other (high end) bikes you own or have owned in the past years?

Awesome looking bike in a great shape! Especially loving the footloose/flashdance type font of the stumpjumper text :cool:

Re:

Ferry":ein1xxks said:
Great bike. I always wanted this exact model back in the days (and I am still looking for one), however, my first " mountainbike" was a 1990 Giant Coldrock. What's the frame and fork like now you can compare it to all those other (high end) bikes you own or have owned in the past years?

I’ve ridden a ton of bikes from the early 80s to mid 90s. For the most part I find it comes down to a fit thing and brakes for me. Xt, Xtr and XCPro are all great, but even this dx bike shifts pretty darn well (in friction of course). This is a pretty good bike $1 for $1. Sure my Adroit and Yo Eddy are just better, but $4-5K BiTD $$$ better? Eh debatable.

The handmade $$$ stuff is a different story. There’s the whole appreciation of the craftsmanship that makes it for most of us ... beyond the performance in my opinion.

Nice project, I had a yellow '89 that I overhauled and sold, unfortunately too small for me, but what a nice bike.

Back