Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:58 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:39 pm 

Hi everyone I'm new on the forum,

I finally found the courage to start a project as I'm now living in Brussels really near to the Soigne Forest.
I'm a total newbie I've never worked on a bike before, just a bit when I was adolescent I had a Sunn Le Saint in a 4X / DH setup, I think I'll reuse some of the pieces of this bike.

The goal here is to build something quickly for a first try and totally by myself !

I've found a not well known french MBK M344 (little brother of the M584) from 1994 (maybe? so older than me) on the fb marketplace for 20€.
It's not in good condition almost everything is broken the paint is bad and it looks like the previous owner never washed it, 100% what I'm looking after for a first time build !

Just after the purchase

Today I bought a full 2nd hand toolkit for the price of the bike, I totally disassembled it and I tried to clean it.
Bottom bracket was completely stuck I almost had to bring it to a shop but I followed a tutorial to "screw" the tool in place and with a lot of time and WD40 I managed to do it by myself

It was so so dirty... the color of the paint has aged really weirdly their is like a demarcation between the seat & top tube and the down tube :

Here's some details on the frame I've installed some Avid V-brakes found for cheap.
ImageImage

The build is going to be with 2nd hand modern pieces I don't know if it's ok on the forum ? I don't see a lot of neo retro builds here.

If you have any newbie advices for the build or the paint It'll be with pleasure !
I will update really soon as I'm going to buy everything this week to finish it thanks to ebay and facebook marketplace :D

Last edited by Vitalcorn on Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:59 am 
Retro Guru

Great work so far!

No rules at all on what parts you use and post on here.

Everyone has an opinion but it’s your bike at the end of the day.

Occasionally there is some ‘discussion’ around modding classic frames but again ultimately the owners call.

Personally I like it when people mix it up!

Very impressed with you getting that bb out first attempt.

Several have beaten me...

Anyway welcome and good luck with the build, just don’t get carried away and spend too much!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:18 am 
Retro Guru

Welcome to the forum Vit.
As WWC said no hard and fast rules here, your project, your cash so do what pleases you with it!
Don't think there's been an MBK M344 on here before? buth there is an unimaginable amount of knowledge here so just shout up if need help, there's no stupid questions.... just stupid answers.. :wink:

This guy on Youtube has some great videos for beginners.. RJ The Bike Guy give him a look & good luck.. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:59 am 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

It's looking better already :D
I think that's a Selle Italia Flite Titanium saddle that's on it, and the chainset looks decent, but as you say, modern parts will work just as well.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:00 pm 

Thanks for the warm welcome ! And I also apologise for my approximate English :?

jimo746 wrote:
It's looking better already :D
I think that's a Selle Italia Flite Titanium saddle that's on it, and the chainset looks decent, but as you say, modern parts will work just as well.

Good eyes ! Yep it's this one but in very bad condition funny to see a good saddle on a bike like that

I purchased a first batch of components at a very decent price Italia saddle avid v-brakes & free NOS sram grips, I really love the Avid levers with the red tuning screws.
I took pedals, raceface handlebar and stem from my old bike they're like new. Bought a new BB shimano UN52 for 8€, I may have found really good 2nd hand wheels for cheap 2014 Mavic Crossride I'll check them tomorrow seems like the guys ordered the wrong models and had never ridden them.

I also cleaned the bike again this time with some 000 Steel wool to remove all the weird black stains and the rust, the frame looks almost decent now !
I'm in love with this MBK logo

I'll need a rear derailleur + shifter, a 1" to 1.1/8" converter to mount the stem and lastly I'll try to find a 1x crankset.
More to come soon :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:04 pm 
King of the Skip Monkeys
King of the Skip Monkeys

I want to see it 'fight rocks!'

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:40 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Good work wih the cleaning, looks much better.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:53 pm 

Got some news !
I almost finished the bike during this rainy week-end !
Really proud of my first build and i'm glad that I've found all the parts quickly.

I wanted to buy everything 2nd hand but I found the Sram X5 way cheaper than any parts available on the marketplace at the moment I also bought a sunrace crankset who was very cheap and perfect for my 1x10 build, a friend gave me his old shimano Saints pedals I'm pretty lucky.

Sunday I finally bought the Mavic wheels on the facebook marketplace they're new the guy wanted to bought the discs version but took the wrong ones, got them for the price of one wheel

I've put everything in place with a fair amount of grease. I had such a hard time to set-up the rear derailleur :cry: took me 2 hours to get the good settings. It was the only big difficulty for me with the BB at the beginning of the build.

Here's some picture for the first test ride this afternoon in the woods

The chain line isn't perfect but everything works smoothly I'm really happy and the beast is not too heavy :)
Everything looking fine with the 1" to 1 -1/8" fork adapter
Last thing is to find a black seatpost in 25mm to finish the build :D

I think I'll start to put money aside to buy a hardtail titanium frame as I've some good components, I've always wanted a beautiful titanium frame with an oldschool Fox fork :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:55 pm 

My first "training" build is done and it ride well here a pic with the final black seatpost
I had a hard time finding one in 25mm but I finally found a plastic adapter not the best but after 40km it still stays in place !

Frame: 1994 MBK M344

Headset: Dia Comp 1”
Stem: Raceface Evolve AM
Handlebar: Raceface Evolve DH 710mm
Grips: SRAM
Brakes + levers : V-Brakes Avid 2.0

Shifters: Sram X5 10V
Rear Derailleur: Sram X5 10V
Cassette: 10V Sunrace CSRS1 11-32
Chain: SRAM PC1031 Apex
Cranks: Sunrace 96bcd 175mm
Chainrings: 34T Narrow Wide
Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN52
Pedals: Shimano Saints

Wheels : 2014 Mavic Crossride UB 26”
Tyres: Maxxis crossmark 2.1

Saddle: Italia
Seatpost: Btwin 25mm

And good news I just ordered a Titanium frame a 1997 Voodoo D-Jab so I'll start my second build as soon as I'll found a fork ! :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:45 am 
Retro Guru

Wow - that's pretty brave ... jumping onto a Ti frame build right after your very first project ...

But, nice bike - you should do well with the next one too ...