longuns day in the peaks 2 aftermath

righteo

maahhoooosive thankyou to everyone who came and braved the weather and the peaks in the midst of autumn

it started with a snow flurry
then turned to rain.........and sleet

then sunny spells, cloud, rain, sleet, hills mud and rocks..........smashing :)

the route was as expected, easy in places, hard in others, steep rocky and boggy. the cafe at ladybower never lets us down and we were well fed and watered before continuing up........and over the moors back to the layby

everyone rode exceptionally well, no major mechanicals or bails, well my rear brake rattled and 2 riders got wet ;)but we managed to show some youths on medern bikes a clean set of tracks haha

sorry my pics are not the greatest but i really enjoyed it and thankyou again xxx

just for gus

starter motor mechanicals, well......it is a retrobike ride after all

inside, im buzzing. great ride with great company on some great trails

cheers

The usual thanks to all for putting up with me and to the countryside for allowing me to turn the air blue with the language.

Google Translate allowed a southeasterner to understand the majority of local dialects - this gained me a sausage and bacon bap via gestures, 'ay-oops' and the swapping of livestock for cooked foods.

The date and walnut cake left me a little windy in the trouser department though so more apologies.

What interested me was that the whole ride would have been over in minutes on a modern bike.

Riding rigid, cantilever and big wide bars of old made you think about what was actually going on on the trail. I have to say that the old British Eagle with its short lived '531cs' road tubing was perfect for the climbs. The sandy gritstone even allowed the 25 year old Chen Sheng tyres perfect grip with no loss of traction anywhere.

What didnt help was the rocks that deliberately placed themselves under my cranks brining a large mass to a complete dead stop within milliseconds. These rocks moved about the trails to repeatedly try and catch me out. The giggling gave it away. They won in the end though as one finally managed to get me over the bars and into a deep puddle. Luckily finely honed acrobatic skills meant only a wet glove leaving the rocks at a loss and having to regroup. They then got the boggy mud involved to gang up even more with the Peaks echoing to some very loud expletives.

Loved every minute of it.

Re:

I was gonna go walking out there with the lads and on the offchance I bumped into you would have said hello. Crappy weather meant we sacked it off and watched films instead.

The state of someone's baggies on the "starter motor" photo makes me pleased with my decision. How long is it till summer?

Re: Re:

pigman":34ycru52 said:
The state of someone's baggies on the "starter motor" photo makes me pleased with my decision.

Ha ha - that's me.

Wasn't that bad...(?) Saw blue sky a few times, and the sun made a brief appearance (just before setting) to blind us up the last gentle climb as we all fell over the bars into one or other of the many puddles on that stretch.

Ace day out - big thanks to all involved, especially those who gave me coffee or a lift home...

Back