Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:53 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:55 pm 
Lincs AEC
Lincs AEC

Well, what a brilliant ride, especially after thinking it wouldn't actually go ahead! :lol:

So, a few highlights for me:

Opening the curtains this morning at 8.30am to be greated by 6" of snow :shock: Sign on to the site expecting to see a load of 'not going to make it' posts, but after a flury of texts it would appear that us Retrobiker's are a mad lot.....so we all still decide to ride!

Deciding to take the Avalanche out (no pun intended!), mainly influenced by it's disc brakes; and that my RTS is painfully clean at the moment :lol: Yep, I'm a tart! :lol:

Waiting at the village hall for half an hour for Andy B to arrive :roll: :wink:

Starting the ride, and not actually being able to see the trails due to the snow :shock:

Being soaked to the skin within 5 minutes :(

SPESHMIKE having the first 'off' of the day, about 10mins into the ride :lol: Bombing down the first downhill section; bounce, bounce, off :lol:

No actually being able to see what your riding over/through/on :shock:

Blasting the woods in the snow; loved it 8)

Andy B being the second retrorider to 'fall'. Funny, given it was falling off a wooden bridge into a ditch, that we'd just commented on how slippy it was :lol:

The trails changing mid-ride as the snow thawed, providing different trails to ride back along :D

Getting home to Mrs GT's pasta, apple cake and tiffin, with plenty of tea and coffee :lol:

A great ride, great company, great company. Hope to do it again, and with better weather maybe ride the second trail :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:52 pm 
Moderator /Lincs, E & S Yorks Deputy AEC
Moderator /Lincs, E & S Yorks Deputy AEC

Great ride! I bet in the dry its pretty fast rolling stuff.

Apologies for my lateness, thanks for waiting for me.

Surprisingly I don't ache from my 'off', which was quite funny, it's amazing how quick you can unclip in a brown trouser moment!

Although I do ache in a few other places, but a dram or two of medicinal single malt should sort that out ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:03 pm 
East Midlands AEC
East Midlands AEC

you'll probablly hurt tomorrow - that's when the stiffness sets in :lol:

didn't get the no-ride messages till too late. wouldn't have stopped me anyway - always up for a ride especially when wifeports hard to come by (boy the exchange rate on those things is killing me these days!!).

great ride - really enjoyed cycling in the snow for the first time in ages - glad I had waterproof everythings on!

ride topped off by now legendary tiffin (BTW my wife gives a thumbs up for it too, and believe me she's not easy to please!) and coffee.

let's do it again in the summer.

Last edited by orange71 on Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:53 pm 
Retro Guru

I am hurting now, so I just don't want to think about how I will be tomorrow! :oops:
I would just like to say thanks to Pickle for organising the ride, I did enjoy it - riding in the snow sure does take it out your legs though, not that I am complaining.
Many thanks to Mrs GT for the lovely food, drink and Tiffin. :D
It was good to meet some of the members from this forum, a great set of chaps. Let's do it again sometime, preferably when it gets a bit warmer. :lol:
Cheers! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:29 pm 
East Midlands AEC
East Midlands AEC

BTW I think I should get some points for having the only retro bike on the ride (with the honourable exception of Speshmike, but he bailed out early citing war wounds :roll: :wink: )

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:36 pm 
King of the DuckBoard
King of the DuckBoard

doogie wrote:
It was good to meet some of the members from this forum, a great set of chaps. Let's do it again sometime, preferably when it gets a bit warmer. :lol:

I'd love to made it up for that. the food by the sounds it was worth the trip on its own. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:46 pm 
Lincs AEC
Lincs AEC

doogie wrote:
I would just like to say thanks to Pickle for organising the ride

Pleasure mate, on both counts :wink:

Will organise another one some time later in the year, so will defo get in the other loop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:41 pm 
Lincs, East and South Yorks Deputy AEC
Lincs, East and South Yorks Deputy AEC

was a brilliant day,big thankyou to pickle and mrs gt,the food was ace,was really good to meet new people and cheers for making me feel welcome :D

i ache like mad now but it was worth it and ill sort a good route around scunny soon so we can organise another day riding :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:11 pm 
Lincs AEC
Lincs AEC

longun wrote:
was a brilliant day,big thankyou to pickle and mrs gt,the food was ace,was really good to meet new people and cheers for making me feel welcome :D

i ache like mad now but it was worth it and ill sort a good route around scunny soon so we can organise another day riding :D

You were more than welcome :D

And a sunny Scunny ride would be good, just start a thread and we'll check the dates :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:25 pm 
Lincs AEC
Lincs AEC

You wouldn't believe we've had any snow here now :roll:

Mostly sunny all day, 95% of the snow is gone and its been reasonably warm :lol:

Still, I think the snow made the ride yesterday, we all had a right laugh and it provided a great talking point :D

Well I've just finished Muc-Offing by bike and put some oil back on it; I think the snow took all of it off :shock: Now I'm off to hit the turbo for a bit, no gain without pain!!! :wink: