Homebuilt Custom Classic Single Speed Bicycle

JamesJTate

Retro Newbie
Here we have my 1960's Lotus F1 inspired single speed bicycle hand build by myself. The frame is a Raleigh 501 Reynold's steel frame using a lugged frame construction and was trimmed of any sundry bracketry for cleaner lines.

I have painted it automotive two pack British racing green paint onto a sand blasted and solvent cleaned frame.

The wheels are yellow 5 spoke Bassano Grimeca aluminium clad with Michelin Country Rock urban bias tyres (26"x1.75").

The chainset is alloy and 38t connected to a 16t Shimano single speed sprocket with 1/2" half link chain. The pedals are Wellgo V8 chromes with pins for grip.

All bearings are brand new and have been build up with quality automotive axle grease. I have also used a decent amount for longevity and reduce water ingress.

There is a new chrome caliper rear brake and chrome brake handle with the cable routed using brand new period style stainless cable routers.

The handle bars and stem riser are chrome and adjustable with brown lock-on grips. There is also a classic style horn to alarm or amuse people in the way!

Other than a test ride around the yard this bike is completely unused.

I'm selling it under orders of the wife as I've got too many projects and essentially me need the space and the money to be perfectly honest. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

I'm looking for £275.

Attachments

• 9-Lotus-F1-21.jpg
    9-Lotus-F1-21.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 1,722
  • 8-20170122_141559.jpg
    8-20170122_141559.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 1,722
  • 1-20170122_141549.jpg
    1-20170122_141549.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 1,722
Re:

Not trying to be rude but everything that I can see it on the very cheap end of stuff. Chain is slack, cabling is too long, only one brake bizzarly on the rear. I would be surprised if you could get £100 for it.

Re:

Wow rather rude to be honest, even if you think the bike is full of low end components that are not to your standards the man has clearly put a lot of effort into building a unique bike. I can imagine that you are one of those cyclists that cry when a car passes you at 32mph and that somehow you have authority over ever other road user because you wear liycra with team sky plastered all over it. And to the man who built this bike well done on an original bike.

Re: Re:

Hertsdigger":1ifudbkk said:
Wow rather rude to be honest, even if you think the bike is full of low end components that are not to your standards the man has clearly put a lot of effort into building a unique bike. I can imagine that you are one of those cyclists that cry when a car passes you at 32mph and that somehow you have authority over ever other road user because you wear liycra with team sky plastered all over it. And to the man who built this bike well done on an original bike.
He hasn't done well, it is dangerous and illegal as it stands.

No I am not as you described me at all.

I have talked to OP this morning regarding my post. Advised him on why it is dangerous and illegal and how he can rectify those issues.

I guess you wouldn't be so blunt to me in real life and just being another keyboard warrior.

Hertsdigger":1rrxsn41 said:
Illagle? Since when has a bike been Illagle? You are just coming across as a grumpy old mug and yes I would say this to your face. I was right about you being a prick in liycra thinking he's somewhat better then the rest. Get a grip you daft old man. And if you would like me to say this to your face I'll happily do so then shove you bike up your stuck up arse. What a c*nt you are

Pedal Cycle Construction and Use Regulations 1983, says you need two brakes: one on the rear wheel and one on the front. A fixed wheel counts as a rear brake, but you still need a calliper on the front.

Old man? I'm under 30 mate.

Re:

gods sake chill out mate--- most people on here know what theyre doing with bikes-- i also thought you a bit rude to the original poster-- i think the bike looks really good-- its not upto you to decide what it worth-- prob spent a bit of time on it as well---

tokaicarl":11at4jmw said:
gods sake chill out mate...

Er... Fossala isn't the one swearing and threatening violence.

The bike is illegal (for road use), dangerous and over-priced: those are facts.

Facts which should be brought to the attention of anyone thinking of buying it.

Mate.

Re:

Doesn't change the fact the bloke is a rude little man. Yes iv sworn shoot me. At least I'm not mocking something that someone has clearly put time and effort into building.

Re:

@fossala might have been a bit blunt but what he says is true.

Cheap parts and a not only bizarre but illegal setup.

Barring the wheels (which I wouldn't touch with a barge pole regardless of their cost) I reckon most people with an eBay account could build a better bike for around 50 to 75 quid.

Back