54cm Calfee Design bamboo road bike

velocipede

Senior Retro Guru
So, these don't come up very often because there's not many of them about!

The previous owner operated a tour company in the Alps and this bike has had only occasional use there so is in really good condition.

More info about Calfee and their bamboo frames is here: http://calfeedesign.com

Original US price on these is $3000 frame only, but imported they go at roughly the $ to £ so you'd pay £3k here if you could get one.

The frame measures up as 53cm centre to centre on the top tube and 50cm centre to centre on the seat tube (55cm to top). It's slightly too short for me at 5'10" so prob best up to about 5'9".

It has Titanium dropouts and an amazing look to it - the joints and detailing, such as the carbon studs for the bottle cages and the tiny bamboo cable guides are amazing.

It rides absolutely beautifully, as you can imagine. It's not race sharp because it's not super stiff, but it soaks up bumps and road buzz like nothing else - it's a really comfy ride but wouldn't suit a brutish sprinter type! Pretty light, as built it comes in around 8kg.

I thought it was a keeper but the sizing just isn't quite right for me, sadly.
There are a couple of areas where the clear coat has been patched up but no damage at all to either the bamboo or the hemp lugs. It looks amazing!!

Spec is:
FSA headset
Easton EC70 full carbon forks
Fulcrum 7 wheels - super condition, virtually no wear to rims indicating how much use this has had since new!
Ultegra triple 10 spd 6600 groupset (except nearly new 105 rear mech and Dura Ace triple front mech) all in excellent condition - just a small amount of the usual "crazing" you get on this model of STI lever and heel rub to the cranks
Continental GP4000 tyres in excellent condition
USE inline seat post
Giant Performance saddle (I've moved over to these when I realised how comfortable they are for very few £'s!!)
Airborne branded bars and stem
Zipp CX bar tape
Garmin mount not inc
A very special bike for someone looking for something a bit unusual!
Can inc a set of spd's or spd sl's if needed for an extra £10.

New price, spec and photos below!

Right, I've been thinking about this & needs must, so now changed the spec a little bit but the price by a bit more - mainly because I've used some of the bits off this on another build…..

Forks to really nice condition Columbus Carve
Tyres to Bontrager Hardcase 23s
Saddle to v nice, hardly used Charge Spoon
Seatpost to a Ritchey Comp, with rubbed logos from seat pack
Bontrager Race Lite stem
Ritchey Comp bars with slightly loud red Selle Italia bar tape

In this spec, I can go down to £675…..new pics:

aoSBxas.jpg

QyIc8FN.jpg

S1QFY9r.jpg

ZB6Pb2p.jpg

XWmVirj.jpg