Duke/pslyo/xc30 rebound damper - NEARLY SORTED

petitpal

Retrobike Rider
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Having ridiculously stupid problems finding a replacement rebound damper for my Dukes, you can't seem to get anything for 30mm stantions anywhere.

Therefore... after a rebound damper from a Duke / Psylo / XC30, or a dead fork.

As an aside, I also need a soft/yellow u-turn spring and if possible a new top cap.

Aaaaargh

Cheerio
Paul

Re:

That's the conclusion I was coming to - or maybe just leave the seized adjustable rebound damper seized for now and screw it. Can't believe how difficult it is to find anything other than a wiper seal kit for Duke / Psylo / anything 30mm!

At least I haven't bought all the oils, seals/foam rings, re-sprayed the lowers... bugger... :facepalm: :D

Re:

Can you take the existing damper out and try and fix it? Not worked on a duke before but you can generally rebuild the dampers if they aren't too far gone.

Re:

The damper is out yep. I'll try and post a picture later. Problem is that the damping unit is a long thin metal tube with a plastic section inside that should normally turn to adjust. And that is stuck from about a third of the way up and nothing will convince it to shift. Also no way to get the bugger out. I suspect it was originally pushed in through the bottom and then the bottom fixing press fitted (the bit that the lower fork bolt screws in to). Even had a stud extractor in the top of the tube to try and help it spin and an oversized allen key in the bottom. Can't even see how the top of the unit (plastic bit with an o ring) can move. Fun fun fun! :)

Re:

I'd got my eye on the first one, although baulking a bit at the cost. Also watching the forks already... just in case they come in around 20 :) Thanks for looking though!

Re:

Seen those yep. Think it's a different model though, handily. Loterally been trawling everwhere I can find. Found a nice place called bikerecyclery.com who have upper gate but no lowers. I'll start a thread on the whole bike at some point and post my woes! :)

So nearly got this sorted (happily) - I was getting to the end of my tether! In the end I put a stud extractor into the plastic adjustable bit inside the damper (via the top end - opposite to the bit that screws into the bottom of the fork leg), clamped the extractor down in a metal working vice, put an adjustable spanner onto the metal flange at the top of the tube and gently drove it off - no wonder the bugger wouldn't turn! *phew*

Now I just need to work out how to fix the plastic at the bottom where the Allen adjusts (as that rounded out a long time ago - thinking possibly two part epoxy around an old Allen key to mold it properly ?!) and then polish/lube the adjuster nicely so that everything works as it should.

Thank feck.

Now just to find a 30mm x-soft spring (facepalm) - remind me to go rigid next time, eh? :D

Thanks for the help by the way - very much appreciated! :)

Back