Good MTB lights

I tried several and went with a Serfas TSL 2500 bar mount. I mounted the batter pack in a water bottle I keep on my night bike. Works pretty well.

GxjwqQ.jpg

https://www.serfas.com/shop/products/li ... 00-lumens/

2500 lumens of bright light adjustable down to 600. It was an expensive light but I got a very good deal as a friend is a dealer. Otherwise, I would probably have opted for a less expensive light like a Nite Rider. The Serfas is a torch though and I like it for riding less technical terrain around our farm. I see a lot of wildlife that way. In the woods, 600 is plenty of light for me.

hamster":crh7sfnk said:
A lot of the Chinese packs use secondhand cells reclaimed from old laptops. I have done similar repairs using Panasonic 18650 cells from a decent vendor (NOT eBay) like https://18650.uk/ and then solder them into the pack instead of the Chinese ones.
Did that with my old hope vision 2 lights. Nicked the cable from the original (and very old) battery pack, soldered it on to a 2x1 battery case, couple of 18650s (proper high capacity LGs IIRC). Then used the original neoprene case.

Given the light a new lease of life for about 30 quid.
Could have got the bog standard 18650s and done it for 20.

I'll probably update the second battery pack at some point, but do it 2x2 to double the life.
And i have a spare vision 2 body/lense/parts that i'm going to mod as well, original circuit board is fried, Hope have no parts anymore.........
Just have to decide which LEDs to get and how much forest i want to set fire to. :D

BTW, do you really need to run the lights at full power?
I know my "best" lights will do approx 2 hours on full and 16-18 hours on low. Low is perfectly adequate for "riding". With just a click up to medium for anything faster. (and full for DH/Techy bits).

On a night ride i can get 6+ hours.

you only need brighter lights if the other people have brighter lights. Riding in groups (which I guess the race sort of is) you end up with a light fight). They should bring a rule in to stop very bright lights ;-)

out on my own, I can often turn the lights off of have them on dim.
In a group, I either have to hang back till they are well out the way or turn them up to max so I'm not riding in a shadow and low contrast.
Bring back 2.5V Halogen bulbs

Suppose this is the difference between riding to race or riding to ride round and complete.
One, you'll need to be on the ball and well illuminated, the other you can hang back and take your time.

Re:

Normally I would literally just ride round relaxing and having a bit of fun but since it's my last chance I want to really push myself and go out with a bang. I've seen packs on eBay for £10 that you put your own 18650 batteries in. Has anybody had experience with them?

It's sort of what i got, but you need to be so careful with quality, some suppliers really take the pi55

Re:

I have a race maxx you can borrow at 24/12 as a decent 2nd light - I'd sell it to you cheap but it's not got enough for 24 hour riding.

Re:

Thanks for the offer saccades. I have actually been offered a free loan from exposure lights themselves for TwentyFour 12 but needing them for Mayhem as well I want to buy something. I've got to find the money to fix my bike first now (pivot bearings have given up :roll: ) but hopefully after that I will be able to raise the money to buy a half decent set of lights now. (Well about £80 so hoping to get something second hand)

Back