Shimano 600 levers/shifters & headset

Shakka Hislop

Retro Newbie
Hello all,

I've rather fortunately found this bike in my girlfriend's dad's garage and have been told if I fix it up and look after it, it's mine.

It's a 1992 Raleigh Dynatech with Mavic Open 4 CD rims and a full Shimano 600 groupset.

Both of the brake levers/shifters are no longer functioning and the headset has a crack in it, I was hoping that some lovely people on this forum may have some of these items lying around? And if not, may be able to point me in the direction of someone that does?

I'm a newbie on here so please let me know if I've violated any, or all, of the rules...

Thanks, Jake

Attachments

• IMG_2819.JPG
    IMG_2819.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 730
Thanks Mr Retro Guru.

I have ridden fixed for the last few years, been looking for a road bike for a while and then this popped up...a very happy coincidence!

Nice bike indeed and it appears to be in very good condition! :cool:

I've got 600 STI shifters and headset available, in condition to match the bike.

But I'm pretty sure you'll be able to "fix" the shifters by flushing them with loads of WD40 and initiating shifting action!

Cracked headset is a bit strange though, so you might want to pursue it further, to see if there are any other problems with the bike.

Anyway, let me know if you need any parts from me.

Thanks, Nikica.

Not sure if this is of any use (only a month late!), but I repaired the 600 STI levers on my father's similar vintage 755ti.

I decided to fully disassemble as the original grease goes hard and seizes everything up. I guess flushing with WD40 or GT85 could do the trick, but I was keen to regressed and get them working perfectly.

I found a comprehensive guide online. I'm sure I can dig out the link if you want. In one step, you need a special Shimano tool. The dude in the guide used some needle nose pliers, but my pliers were not needly enough! In the end, a bit of Dremel action on a chainring bolt tool worked spot on.

The whole fix took a couple of hours, and you need to be methodical (there are a lot of bits in an STI lever, but the old ones were built like tanks compared to the modern stuff!). But, all told, it wasn't too tricky. And, as I say, the shifting is now as good as new!

Back