Campy crown race needed - 1"

CanAmSteve

Dirt Disciple
I entrusted the fitting of my Campagnolo headset to my local LBS and they managed to crack the crown race. That means the two LBSes nearest to me have both managed to crack crown races, so I guess from now on I may as well crack them myself.

Does anyone have a spare crown race available to fit? (or a suggested source, or alternative?) The part I need is for the HS7-RE headset (1" threaded) and the crown race is shown as HS-RE008

I have seen one listed on a US website @US$36 for the race (plus shipping). It is cheaper (and a lot quicker) just to buy a whole new headset (£40 @ Wiggle) - but surely there is some alternative to that?

Thanks
Steve

Can't help with the crown race but surely the shop have to take responsibility for that. I've never cracked one in all my years of DIY installation. If they didn't use a fork crown cutter first to make sure the seat was nice and clean and round they are no better than me! They should have known something wasn't right if they were having to use so much force it cracked the race - they're flippin' 'ard.

It wasn't a 26.4mm ISO race on a 27mm JIS fork though was it?

Mark.

It's an 80s Colnago Decor and by my verniers the race is 26 & a bit (depends on where you measure) and it's a std Campy Record 1" threaded headset. The first time this happened it was the "other" bike shop in town. Same headset on an F. Moser frame. I'm happy to do the "cheap stuff" myself but (apparently) delude myself that the pros should handle the expensive bits.

TBH, the Campy race has a large flange that sticks out to act as a seal (some have a rubber edge, some don't - same part #, go figure) and unless the setting tool fits exactly, it's likely to rest on the flange. Like if you used a 1&1/8" setter by mistake...

steve soryy to hear about your rough local fitters!
I've currently got a nice conditioned chorus 1 inch for sale but it's threadless!! may well not be what your after thought i'd try though jon

Wow - 1" threadless. Best save that for someone who really needs it. At least I can still buy the threaded 1" Campy headset - it's just that the parts are ridiculously expensive. Crown race = £26. Bearings = £18. Complete headset = £40. WTF?

Back