'80s road bike wanted, about 56cm - bike bought!

Ghosty

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Well, after going up the Woodhead Pass and through Strines on a singlespeed on the Tour de France weekend, I've realised that I want a road bike with gears. I'm after one of the following, preferably in 22"/56cm frame, though a 58 or 23" might do (I'm between 5"11 and 6"):

-Raleigh Pro Race 501 (black/fluro green)
-one of the better mid '80s Peugeots that has the red/orange/white stripe decals (eg Premiere - a couple on eBay but none I like)
-Raleigh Team Banana
-a Raleigh Milk Race (possibly).

I'm located in Manchester and have about £100 to spend. I'm willing to travel a reasonable distance (far as the Midlands, Cumbria, mid-Yorks etc if needs be (I'm a student home for summer).

Anyone know of anything?

Re: '80s road bike wanted, about 56cm, £~100

eBay is probably your best bet

These Raleigh's came in 21", 23.5" and 25"

Ah cheers, didn't know that. Criteria for a Raleigh is 'not 25" ' then.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

There's a Banana on eBay in the next town to me but the seller isn't including the wheels in the auction for some reason and it's a 21".
Cheers for those - had a keen eye on eBay, after some contemplation that second bike you linked - one I've had my eye on - will actually fit me better than I thought with the seatpost down - going to make an offer on it. Train to Crewe is about £10 - much cheaper than delivery.
Derailleur and gears need a bit of a clean though!

Work on the basis that you will probably have to strip the entire bike down as far as you can...

It's about 20 years old so..

1) The bottom bracket will almost certainly need cleaning and regreasing
2) The headset will almost certainly need cleaning and regressing
3) Front & Rear derailleur's can be removed fairly easily, and cleaned and greased/oiled
4) Cassette (or freewheel) will have 20 odd years worth of grime that is better off removed
5) New cables all round will improve everything no end, as the ones on it are probably the originals

Whilst you have it stripped down the frame and forks can be cleaned/polished much more easily, and then it's just a case of putting it all back together (the fun part!)

This is what the Pro Race looked like when it was new in 1993:

Didn't realise it was as new as '93! Doesn't put me off though. Looks like the cranks have been replaced, and there's a possibly missing bottle cage and top tube decal then - I was aware of the latter at least, but these don't bother me.
Umming and ahing about size a bit though, I'm pretty sure 21" is going to be too small but I'm not sure if 23.5" will be bordering too big? I currently have a 22" Peugeot singlespeed with the seat up about 3".

The chain set looks original, I think the lighting in the brochure makes it look different!

By the sound of what you are currently riding, I'd say a 23.5" should be fine

Raleigh suggest that the 23.5" frame suits someone with an inside leg between 32" and 36"

Back