WTB 8 speed campy touring suitable wheels

matteroftaste

Old School Hero
Hi all,
I'm after some fast but sturdy wheels to go on my touring bike that im building up. campag 8 speed compatible, would be great with a medium range cassette.
cheers

Hi,

are you aware that shimano 7 works fine with campag 8 indexing. My wife and I both use it. Gives you more options, you just have 1 fewer cog.

hope you get something

regards,
painter

good to know painter, I have a pair of 7 speed wheels on another bike.
However I am a bit of a stickler for getting the theme of a bike right and would love to 'do it right' something like decent hubs laced to mavic open fours would be perfect.

Re:

Are these a bit over the top?

Campag Athena 8 speed rear cassette hub and veloce front hub with Dp18 rims. Radial laced front, radial laced no drive side on the rear. No cassette.

Would look for £120 plus post

9455b145c5d7aa3216f16ae3e85434f9.jpg
[/url][/img]

Pm me your mail and I can send photos over if interested.

ooh purty,
would these be ok road touring with front and rear loads? im about 80kg, plus loaded for a week long tour... (plus beer runs)
pm sent for pics though.

Re:

Hi,

They are 36 spoke per wheel and I think you would have to go some to bend the rims! I guess the only issue may be radial spoke lacing but they feel pretty bombproof. Will pop over some photos..

I have some Campagnolo Zonda aero wheels which have Athena-level hubs inc 8-speed cassette. Nice but looking for £200 plus postage I'm afraid.

those are lovely wheels but I don't think they'd be suitable for loaded touring. I have a set of scirocco 20's that I'd use, but I don't think they would handle the weight well.

I've got an open pro on a Chorus hub, doesn't run perfect (no play as such) but the rim is actually barely touched. TBH can't remember if it is 8 or 9/10..I'll have a butchers in the garage tomorrow

Latest posts

Back