Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:02 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:28 pm 
Retro Guru

Personally the drops ‘make’ the bike. Having multiple hand positions and being able to get your head down really makes a difference when cracking on.

Yes a retro Rigid is a similar bike but has comprises compared main ones I think are -

Tubeless/700c wheels really smooth out the chatter and roll so well.

Hydraulic discs - well we all know they better than any alternative

1 x 11 just works.

You can tell I’m a fan. But I do use my loads now which helps justify it. If you just going to use it once in a while then maybe a XC mtb is better as a all rounder.

Here’s mine

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:39 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Very nice. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:49 pm 
Retro Guru

So, in general, there's scepticism about whether gravel bikes are worth buying . . . apart from the folks who have already bought them and they really rate them. Perhaps there's a lesson there.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:13 pm 

I'd agree with that, especially as a former sceptic!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:02 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

That does look nice i have yo say.

I have some new 27.5 and 29er wheels, could I get away with running them on a 26er frame? I know laying up some 700c wheels there is plenty of room but with a larger tyre probably not so much.

The stumbling block for me (wherl and tyres permitting) would be shifting and brakes. I have a number of 9, 10 and 11sp options from shimano and sram. But all are mtb so I'm guessing I'd be out of luck finding a set of drop bar levers that would work mech wise, let alone brake wise. I have some magura brakes spare and also some hopes, are any compatible with ant lever/shifter combos or would I be looking at a new set of brakes and drive train?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:45 am 

Not sure about gears but you can get some hydraulic calipers that are operated by cable levers.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:53 am 
Old School Grand Master

CassidyAce wrote:
So, in general, there's scepticism about whether gravel bikes are worth buying . . . apart from the folks who have already bought them and they really rate them. Perhaps there's a lesson there.

If you go into it buying a bike that is an all-rounder that does nothing badly then you won't be disappointed. As a 'one bike' solution it will be pretty good. Accept that there will be limitations which are the compromises to do most things. Probably they are a bit better for most tasks than a slicked-up MTB.

But don't expect miracles.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:57 pm 

I'd agree with hamster. If it's a one bike solution you really need to have a good think about what and where you ride. If you ride anything other than modest terrain off road a HT or FS will make mincemeat of gravel. If you ride roads, green lanes and bridleways most of the time gravel bikes are fun.

Of course, if you're lucky enough to have a few bikes they certainly have their place.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:11 pm 
Old School Grand Master

ishaw wrote:
That does look nice i have yo say.

I have some new 27.5 and 29er wheels, could I get away with running them on a 26er frame? I know laying up some 700c wheels there is plenty of room but with a larger tyre probably not so much.

The stumbling block for me (wherl and tyres permitting) would be shifting and brakes. I have a number of 9, 10 and 11sp options from shimano and sram. But all are mtb so I'm guessing I'd be out of luck finding a set of drop bar levers that would work mech wise, let alone brake wise. I have some magura brakes spare and also some hopes, are any compatible with ant lever/shifter combos or would I be looking at a new set of brakes and drive train?

9 speed is interchangeable, there are some details that need to be considered carefully with front shifting however. Likewise 10 speed road shifters will shift with a 7/8/9 speed MTB rear mech (or 10 speed road). Personally I run bar-end shifters and V-brake front drop levers. IIRC SRAM road and MTB is interchangeable for rear, but I have never tried it.

Another alternative is Campag: by fluke their 10 speed has identical cable pull with 8 speed Shimano, while the micro indexing front types will work fine with MTB front mechs.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:29 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

So on checking the drop bar shifters/levers I have in the stash are 9 speed sora, so based on a previous reply, I could run 9sp mtb mechs? Tbh I'd prefer to go 1x10 so what are my shifter/lever options that I can run hydraulic discs with? Budget is low.

As for this being a do it all bike, I will still have a nice ti 29er to play with, plus a few 26ers, just looking to throw something together i can commute on and take in a longer ride home on.

Thought jumping on the gravel bike trend might be the way to go, trying to use what I have but maybe sticking to an mtb is best. I have all i need to achieve that and could create a pretty decent bike tbh out of what I hsve, and not care too much about it being left vulnerable (though where I work is pretty remote and unlikely to be too vulnerable to an opportunist thief as they would have to get onto a private site).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next