Fitting a crown race to a Rock Shox tk30 fork.

tlaverty79

Retro Guru
I bought an FSA Orbit MX headset and was trying to fit the crown race to my new RockShox TK30 Silver fork. Turns out the diameter is ever so slightly too big. Do I need to take the fork to a bike shop and get them to reduce the diameter of the steerer tube before fitting the crown race?

Thanks,

Tony

Re:

Nope. Leave the steerer well alone.

When you say the diameter of the crown race is wrong, is that at the fork crown? The steerer tube should be tapered there to hold the crown race in place, but the crown race should slide easily down most of the steerer tube until it gets to the tapered section. It will need a bit of persuasion to go over the taper.

Are you sure the crown race is for the same diameter of steerer tube your forks have?

I've seen threads on here about differing headset size standards but I'm no expert and thought this tended to be for the 1 inch size.

Many headsets have split crown races to make fitting easier, do you could cut a slot in the mx crown race, but that may not solve your problem depending on your headset (loose/caged bearings Vs sealed).

Thanks.

It is tight over the tapered end of the tube. I understand that this is an interference fit and should need to be pressed on. I'll need to double check the diameters of both the tube and the race.

The headset is a FSA Orbit MX with sealed bearings.

Cheers.

Re:

If the race is solid, it needs more force than a hand can give, proper tools and a hammer are needed, though you can get away without the proper tools - big ring spanner and a hammer as long as the spanner clears the race where it mates with the bearings.

As it's a sealed bearing headset, you can split the race.

You dont need any special tools, i have fitted many races by hand. The race is meant to be a snug fit, if the race is tilted slightly it will get stuck, its a bit like that puzzle where you have to move the hoop round some curly wire and if it touches the buzzer goes off, only the wire in this case is about the same size as the hoop :LOL: on some steerers though the fit can be a bit too good, so i use the plastic end of a Park hammer and just tap gently moving around the race, it goes down easy. Tap too hard it gets stuck, in the same place it gets stuck. Just the lightest of taps. You can use something a lot lighter, it will just take a bit longer and require more taps, easy :)

Mark

Back