Xtr: m952 or m970?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I seem to be racking up a lot of posts asking opinion. The curse of being indecisive, or at least I think so.

So I'm looking to cull a few bikes, but want to keep my team RTS and dbr axis TT.

I'm not one for period correct builds, bitd it was all about upgrading, and it's still true for me now.

The two frames in question are keepers, and I'm looking to build/rebuild or leave as they are, I just can't decide which way to go.

The dbr is probably easiest. It's got m952 throughout aside from some Paul's v brakes, so it will probably stay as is, though a part of me thinks it will wear m970 nicely.

The RTS is more of a challenge. The frame and rear suspension I'm leaving alone (unless anyone fancies selling me a risse rear shock), the controltech bars, stem, seat post and Chris king headset are also fixtures that suit the frame so are likely to stay.

Brakes will be swapped for some avid ultimate vs.

The drive train I can't decide on. Currently wearing m952/3, with a lovely Hershey spider on the cranks, though the xtr grey hasn't always suited the build imho. This brings about the question, stick with the m952/3, but perhaps change the cranks (I have some NOS caramba side winders in black), or go for m970 (I have a NOS groupset on the STS which I'm going to sell)? Hell, I could even go 10 speed xt or xo (though I'd still have crank quandaries here), I just can't decide.

Anyone fancy helping steer so.eone with decision making issues in a direction?

Back