Candy pedals sticking open

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
A few times on recent rides, my fairly new and little used candy 3 pedals seem to get stuck in the open position meaning the cleat will not lock in place. I can force the mechanism closed and click in eventually but keen to get to the bottom of it. I can't see anything wrong with the pedal, no dirt or anything else seems to be in there so scratching my head a bit.

Any thoughts?

Re:

Update since looking them over.

It appears that the central spring is moving between the egg beater looking things and if it moves too far it is binding against the pedal body and also as a result, is moving g far enough so that it no longer touches the egg beater bit, so isn't providing and spring, hence the cleat mechanism staying open.

I can move the spring g back so it sits centrally and all is good again, but I've done this before so is there a way of preventing this? Is the spring too worn and in need of replacement?

Crank bros pedals failing?

"It's a feature, sir. They all do that."

Sorry, can't help with your question though, other than to suggest proper pedals instead.

I do have some speedplay frogs I think, just haven't got around to using them. Can you walk in shoes with the cleats attached?

Frogs no idea.

ATAC, yes, no problem. I've been walking around on them for 20 years....... (not the same ones obviously.)

Re:

Sorry, meant the speedplay. They have massive cleats that I don't think fit in an spd shoe recess. I should try really.

Re:

Are shimano SPD pedals any good then? I seem to have 2 sets of xtr and a set of m747s in the garage, just no cleats. Is it worth finding ding a cheap set of cleats and giving them a go?

Latest posts

Back