Campy / Shimano freehub swap?

drawis

Dirt Disciple
OK, I have two bikes, one modern, one older.

I have an idea that it would be possible to take the wheels off my 11 speed campy bike and, by simply swapping the freehub with the freehub from my shimano 8 speed bike's wheels, I could use my newer wheels with my 8 speed cassette.

Is this remotely possible? The plan would be to upgrade the wheels on my 11 speed later.

Thanks in advance...

There are work arounds.

Marchisio do sprockets which have Campag spacing and fit Shimano hubs (try Ribble Cycles). I'm not sure if ones the other way are available.

Are you 11 speed Campag wheels using Campag hubs? If Fulcrum then they have common hubs with swappable freehub bodies for Campag and Shimano splines. IIRC they are £40-60. Likewise Mavic are also swappable. Other brands...it depends.

Re:

Hi,

They are Fulcrum hubs (racing 5's) so thank you, I will look into swappable splines.

Assuming I can find a Shimano splined hub will that work with something as venerable as 8 speed I wonder?

The hub body for 8,9 and 10 cassettes is the same for Shimano. Shimano 11 is not back compatible although my understanding is that 8,9 and 10 will fit on an 11 OK.

Campag is interchangeable cassette fit for 9,10 and 11.

Back