29'er Mudguards?

jimo746

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
I'm not usually one for mudguards, but I need to find something to put on my 29'er rigid singlespeed for this winter as I can't be arsed with getting covered in crud on weekday evening rides.

I like the idea of full mudguards, not so much into the "moto-x" look, I'm currently running 29 x 2.4 tyres .

Any good suggestions for decent coverage 29'er compatible mudguards?

Re:

Same here.
* Subscribed.

Giles Berthoud now does 700C in 60-mm cross-section. Supposedly, they fit tyres up to 2.35 inches. That seems a bit optimistic: a 50-mm tyre would only have a maximum of 5 mm clearance per side, and in practice the folded-under edges reduce the clearance.

But they might be wide enough for my needs: I have 2.00 Big Apple slicks on Mavics, which actually work out at 45 mm across.

http://www.gillesberthoud.fr/anglais/fi ... 1INO706/CS

Re:

The SKS Blumels look good, I've got some SKS Commuter guards in 26" size (they wouldn't fit the 29" wheels, I did try!).
I got the SKS Beavertail XL guards from Hellfrauds (had a gift voucher to use).
As expected the "Universal fit" was anything but :roll: , being a wishbone rear frame and segmented forks it took a bit of "Bodgineering" to get them to fit, but they're now fitted :D
I've not tried them yet, but the rear looks ok in relation to the 2.4" tyres which I think come out at 60mm wide, the front looks a bit narrower though but hopefully will keep the worst of the crud off me.
Looking at the frame & forks I think fitting full guards like the SKS Blumels will be just as tricky, probably need to make use of P-Clips.
I'll see how the Beavertail guards fare, I could always move them onto one of my other bikes if they turn out to be less than ideal.

Re:

Ready for the cold, dark, wet winter evenings....

Blurb says they're for up to 2.2 or 58mm wide tyres, my tyres are 2.4 or 61mm, so we'll see how things go.
For the rear I drilled a hole in the end of the "wishbone" rear and bolted into that , with a cable tie to keep it in place on the seat tube.
The front I put a star fangled nut up the steerer tube and then bolted into that with a long M6 bolt and washer (I thought this was better than drilling a hole through the fork to use the supplied fixing bracket), also had to do a little bending of the mudguard at the front as it was very close to the tyre.

Will the rear be long enough to keep your back clean? I had an old extendable flinger that works well.

Back