Bent rear mech

66 triumph daytona

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I have a carbon cage XTR rear mech with a slight bend in it,enough to make it skip ever so slightly on the smallest rear sprocket.Can it be straightened?

I'd guess not, but I've never tried. You can get aftermarket replacements for around £20 if you do try and it doesn't go as planned. Are you sure it's the mech and not the mech hanger? A thought crossed my mind.....
.... you could add a sleeve over the little aluminium bit that sits in one of the cages to push the cage out, if that's the direction it needs to be bent?

No harm in trying, can always replace if not.
Why is it only skipping on small sprocket?, can't you adjust that out with stop screw?

Re:

carbon will not bend it will return to its original shape if twisted
the hanger will bend
do you need smallest gear on a mountain bike?

Re:

I took off the offending mech and compared it with my M970 mech and there is definitely a little bend in the 972 mech.I put a square onto the mech hanger and its straight as a die.I stuck on the 970 mech and all is well.The cage pivot is where the bend is,Im going to see if it can be straightened.

Re:

Youre saying the cage is bent? Is one or both playes carbon, i thought one eax alliy but not 100% sure.

Carbon wknt bend like metal but maybe it can be reashaped when heated to soften the resign, e.g. by putting it in hot water, or if that fails hot oil.

And technically the small sprocket is the largest gear.

Get a hanger adjustment tool as well. Putting a square on it is next to useless as you've got nothing to judge against except the dropouts, which aren't guaranteed to be straight.

Good idea Matt,I must try that but visually the mech appears to have a slight bend at the cage pivot point.The replacement mech is indexing perfectly.

Back