Curse you hope....

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
... you go and make lovely floating rotors but they don't fit formula brakes.

Anyone know of any affordable (that excludes formula) floating rotors that will work with formula brakes without catching the calliper?

Could grind off the points from the outside of the Hope rotor? It won't decrease the braking surface much.

All the best,

Thanks for the suggestion but it's the bolt/rivet part that catches the calliper so don't want to trim that down. I'll stick with the standard formula rotors, not as nice looking but designed to work with the brakes.

Re:

Yes, it is most annoying. You certainly cant grind the rotor but i cant remember if the calliper can, i chose not to mess but instead fittef quaxar rotors, lighter than hop but not as effective.

Maybe look at the Clarke floating rotor, heaviet than hope but similar in looks, dunno if it has same issue.

Re:

I can't speak for all Formula brakes, but Clarks floating rotors are no heavier than the Hopes (160mm both 100g to within 3g) and work fine with Formula Rx brakes.
Both are thicker than some other rotors, so you have to align them very carefully (easier with IS mounts than Post mounts) but the Clarks rotors seem good so far - no squeaking or rubbing with a couple of different sets of brakes (Deore and Rx).

It's the rx brakes/hope rotor combo I'm having issues with so I'll check out the Clarkes ones. Thanks for the info.

Re:

Although clarkes look similar to hope, istr hope are 20g lighter.

Pretty sure i have one if each lying around, will dig em out and weigh them but wont be until next year.

Btw, it should be: curse you formula, it is problen with their calliper, all other makes and models are ok.

Re:

ishaw: can you sort it by adding in some washers as spacers between the disc mount and the caliper?
I've had to do that from time to time with Hope rotors on different frames; might be worth a try before spending out on more rotors?

The Hope ones I have in terms of weight are 100g & 99g exactly. The Clarks pair are 103g and 96g respectively; so a greater range (quality control probably!), but not significantly heavier.

Latest posts

Back