9 speed / 10 speed compatabillity question

shedobits

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
As in title, I have nearly everything for a 1 x 10 set up except the rear mech. I do have a a nice XT 9 speed rear mech that I would like to use though. So, will it work can someone tell me? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Re:

Nope, 10 speed shifters don't work with 9 speed rear mechs I'm afraid. Shimano changed the cable pull ratio when they introduced the 10 speed MTB groups.

Re:

A friend of mine has used a 9speed deore on a ten speed set up which works ok, might be worth ago before you by a new mech, surely the rear mech only stops where the shifter tells it to!

There is something very very odd about his 10 speed set up then. Flat bar road shifters maybe?

9 and 10 mtb use significantly different pull ratios

Re: Re:

hopper22":rje6l23k said:
A friend of mine has used a 9speed deore on a ten speed set up which works ok, might be worth ago before you by a new mech, surely the rear mech only stops where the shifter tells it to!

This has been mentioned many many times... yes, it's the shifter that moves the rear mech, but different rear mechs are have different shift ratios (the amount the cage moves sideways when the cable is pulled a certain amount). The amount a mech moves per click of the shifter must coincide with the sprocket spacing of the cassette, and depends on both the cable pull and shift ratio.

9 and 10 speed mtb systems have both different cable pull and different shift ratios, so they will not work together.

shedobits":2i36eh6a said:
As in title, I have nearly everything for a 1 x 10 set up except the rear mech. I do have a a nice XT 9 speed rear mech that I would like to use though. So, will it work can someone tell me? Thanks in advance for any advice.

11 speed is the only one that has a different pull ratio, I've interchanged 9 speed mech's on 10 Cassettes and the other way without a problem what so ever. A 10 speed cassette takes up the same space as a 9, just narrower spacing between the rear cogs.

Re:

Wouldn't bother myself to be fair

As previously mentioned it's all down to the pull ratio, Shimano 9 speed has the same rear mech geometry as 7/8 speed and as such close to 2:1, Where as Shimano 10 Speed is almost 1:1 ratio making it much closer to SRAM's actuation ratio than past Shimano, Subsequently you've probably got more chance using a SRAM 9 speed mech than a 9 speed Shimano mech, Not that will really help you given the situation.... :roll:

Ultimately you could give it a go with different cable clamping angles at the mech, as this will change the actuation ratio but ultimately it would be a bodge and would guess over the cassette you'll still have 3/4 iffy shifts.

My advice, Sell the 9, buy a second hand 10..... It may end up costing you nothing based on buy/sell prices :)

Re:

Well thanks for your replies everyone, I needed to replace my Husselfelt / Ruction combo crankset [which I was running as 1X9] as the splines were worn.

I'm replacing it with a Zee and thought that as I had a 10 speed cassette, chain and Narrow Wide chainring to hand now would be a good time to update my steed by adding a shifter and rear mech to the order.

I've since placed the order and hope to sell the nearly complete XT drivetrain and unused 36t Zee chainring to help offset the cost.

Again thanks everyone for your help and advice. I'll post pics and report shortly.

Back