shifter, rear mech and cassette compatibility.

marc two tone

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Before i do this switch i'm looking for advice on pull ratio on shifters/mechs...

The stuff.(intended)

XTR 950 rear mech. shimano srt 8sp shifters. 8sp shimano cassette, 9sp chain.

Will the rear mech accept the gripshift pull rate, and just go for the ride?

I'm sure the 9sp chain will be fine but want to be sure on the shifting aspect.

what say you?

Re:

Be discs next and front suspension.

(yes they'll all work really well, well as goood as the most worn component)

Re:

innit!

i better explain...

I'm going to get the '95 team bike back to a near catalogue spec but with some modern convenience, like 9sp stuff. And a comfy saddle.

Now it's running 9sp Lx rapidfire, chain and deore cassette. So far this has worked well giving good gear ranges and sheer availability of parts. 9sp is everywhere and cheap. trying to get 8sp XT and stuff is a nightmare(especially the asking prices) for example.

still running cantis though and now i have the proper white industries cranks i have a hankering for more progress...

By rights the levers/shifters are XT 737/8 but i'm happy to keep some things away from the norm, as i believe them to work better!
So what i've done/doing is...Some period correct SRT gripshift(8sp) with the proper diacompe levers with flange that butts up the gripshift nicely.
chainrings that handle any chain and a front XT750 mech with shim. 34.9-28.6. help protect easily dented tange ultimate tubes by spreading the 'nip' of the mech.

The possibility of using 9sp front and rear mechs is weight saving too.

The next move is to ditch the rapid fire for gripshift, ditch 9sp cassette for 8sp and see how that works.

Back