24" tyres (for islabike)

FluffyChicken

Archivist
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
So the kids bike has nice tyres, but dalby and I know from previous muddy outings and wet grass, the tyres are reaching their limits for the poor chap.

I know I can get Continue Explorers and I liked them on my bike in 26".
Schwalbe do some but finding them ...

Anyone used any on an Islabike? (Beinn 24) and how do they fit the frame?

If you want some with nobbles I have a new set of fairly narrow toga tyres I'm unlikely to use.

No experience with the Islabike but fitted Schwalbe Black Jacks on my son's 24" Giant MTX, 2.1", and they are brilliant. They do 1.9" as well, but as you say can be difficult to source and quite expensive.

Re:

How wide are the 2.1 at their nax (tread I guess) in real life (or how wide is the stay gap).

After something with more grip and width.

The kenda multi-small-nobblything tyre is 1.5 so fine for general use, but can get slippy.

The contis and schwalbe are quite light tyres to. (Compared to others)

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":237q7hyx said:
How wide are the 2.1 at their nax (tread I guess) in real life (or how wide is the stay gap).

I've just measured the tyres at 55mm inflated approx 40psi. Yes they are quite lightweight as well. He had a nasty crash as a 7 year old when he locked up the brakes downhill on wet tarmac on some rock hard compound CST's and he insists on Schwalbe's now. All joking apart he quickly got his confidence back with the level of grip they offer.
John

Certainly the latest Rocket Rons I bought (allegedly the tubeless-ready ones) while as beautifully fast as ever were fragile.

Back