Kids bike - 1 1/8 Ahead stem but 25mm steel handlebar?

LittleSkink

Retro Guru
Picked up a used 24" wheel Decathlon/Rockrider bike for my eldest at the weekend. Its maybe 3 or 4 years old and has done a handful of miles (which is nice) but I want to adjust the fit by fitting a flat handlebar

Currrently is has an unbranded alloy 1 1/8 aheadset stem and what measures as 25mm (not 25.4) steel handle bar

Plan was to put in a 25.4 handlebar (got a nice minty light Kalloy one in the garage) but wanted to check there is no such thing as a 1 1/8 Ahead stem that takes a 25mm bar - it should take 25.4 perfectly okay?

Re: Kids bike - 1 1/8 Ahead stem but 1" steel handlebar?

Have you measured very accurately with a vernier gauge? The industry bar/stem measurements are nominal to a degree and it's perfectly normal (certainly on budget components) to get a bar say 25.3 to 25.50 or more, same for the stem, in addition the way the central section is serrated or raised or worn will affect measurements.

Re: Kids bike - 1 1/8 Ahead stem but 1" steel handlebar?

thanks MaxP, yep using a decent vernier caliper

my main source of info for stuff like this is the incomparable Sheldon and 25mm seems unlikely:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-handlebars.html

EDIT: decided to pull it all apart and have a go - 25.4 bar is not even close to fitting - so put it all back together and will manage as is

Back