Anyone gone 1x9 with an oval ring up front?

kyle888

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Looking for anyone's feelings on going 1×9 with an oval 32t on the front I'm about to take the plunge in new xt bits!

I ride standard xc (up and back down)! The bike is a rigid merlin malt so should be pretty light after.

Thanks in advance
kyle

Re:

ive done on my bike not used a oval ring . black spire downhill front ring just looking for a chain keeper
for it now .

Re:

which egg-shaped front ring are you planning on using?

XT mech with a clutch?

edited, the absolute black is a narrow/wide profile isn't it? it'll be fine.
I've heard good reports about the Absolute black rings.

Re:

I remebered this on a local MTB Facebook page....

ABZ MTB Race Team
16 February · Edited ·

REVIEW - Absolute Black Oval Chainring

A couple of months ago those lovely people over at Absolute Black sent us one of their rather funky looking oval chainring's to test out. Yesterday we finally got round to bolting it on to our test rigs and taking it for a spin!

So what are they all about? In a word "Traction". The theory is; that because a rider does not produce power evenly through the pedal stroke, an oval chainring can even out the power transfer from the rear tyre to the ground.

So, does it work? Well some roadies seem to quite enjoy them on their TT bikes, and we can see how the benefits could transfer over to an XC bike. But can it work on an All-Mountain style rig? During our test there was a noticeable "pulsing" feeling through the pedals, but this quickly disappeared as our tester became used to it. There did seem to be some improved traction on the short steep punts and the quads did seem to take less of a beating than normal, however, how much of this was real and how much was just perceived is difficult to tell. Positive feedback is that there was no dropped chains and no shifting problems during the test.

The verdict? Our test was carried out on unfamiliar trails so we'll need to give it a go at some of our usual stomping grounds to get a real feel for it. However initial thoughts are that there is definitely some traction in the idea (pun totally intended). We love to see small companies pushing new ideas and turning out high quality components, so next time you are due a new chainring, why not check out what Absolute Black have on offer...

OK, not exactly an "in depth" review, but may help...

I love the bit "We love to see small companies pushing new ideas" as if oval chainrings haven't been around for at least 30 years!!!

:LOL:

Back